Upper Shock Mounting Change - Feeback Requested

More
29 Apr 2014 08:38 - 29 Apr 2014 08:41 #630793 by NakedFun
All,

So my KZ900/ZRX1200 project needs some guidance. I have been told that I am over-thinking this, and most likely I am. Currently my new upper shock mounts are filleted to fit the radius of the frame tubes and welded in. I am starting to second guess this, and thinking about changing to the options below:

[IMG

Option 1: The pros with this, is I have to grind the welds off my exisiting mounts, chuck them in the lathe and drill a 1/2" hole in the center to press a 1/2" steel stud. This can be done fairly easily. I will have to make a new jig to allow guidance of a small drill press or hand drill to drill a 1/2" hole though each frame tube accurately and straight which is feasible. Then slide the mounts back into place and weld where the stud protrudes on the back side of the frame tube and again around the perimeter of the fillet where the mount meets the tube.

Option 2: This directly ties the mounts into the frame tubes allowing the notched tubes to resist twist and flex. Puts the forces directly into the frame tubes. The cons to this, is trying to accurately cut and notch out the frame tubes with a hole saw and another jig. I have my concerns about the accuracy of this method, but perhaps can get it done as I am slightly more capable than a modern 6th grader.....

Option 3: The nice thing about this, is it ties both sides of the frame together at the upper mount. I can't imagine it getting more ridgid unless made from Chromemoly. Using 1.25" OD x .125" wall thicking DOM tubing, will get a perfect fit for the OD of my shock mounts which can be slid into place and weled once positioned the correct amount outwards for upper shock spacing. The concern goes back to the accuracy with a hole saw and my hand made jigs.

Is all of this overkill for a street bike? Am I going to hit a pothole with my existing setup and a mount break off? I don't know, but now is the time to change them if it is warranted. Due to my profession, I tend to not be a risk taker, so that is why I am thinking this through for the 15th time. Thoughts?

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900
Last edit: 29 Apr 2014 08:41 by NakedFun.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.