Adjusting forks on 81 750ltd

• Bullridingmike
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Apr 2014 20:06 #630150 by Bullridingmike
Adjusting forks on 81 750ltd was created by Bullridingmike
Hi this is the first time I've done this. I bought a 1981 kz750ltd. My plans are to build a bobber. I bought 11 inch shocks. Just wondering if anyone knows how to adjust the front forks down. Right now I have 13 inch . If any of u out there have any good advice please share thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2014 05:37 #630177 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Adjusting forks on 81 750ltd
There is a spacer inside the forks above the fork springs that can be replaced w something shorter, usually mentioned is 1" pvc pipe or fitting. The fork oil is probably old, so you probably ought to replace it... and it would be a good time to go ahead & replace the fork seals.

• Bullridingmike
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Apr 2014 16:54 #630263 by Bullridingmike
Replied by Bullridingmike on topic Adjusting forks on 81 750ltd
Thank u that help a lot I bought 11 inch shocks for the rear so I figured I should probably lower the front as well. Do u think it would affect the engine if I don't lower the front?

More
24 Apr 2014 19:06 #630283 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Adjusting forks on 81 750ltd

Bullridingmike wrote: Thank u that help a lot I bought 11 inch shocks for the rear so I figured I should probably lower the front as well. Do u think it would affect the engine if I don't lower the front?

I can't directly answer your question, but reading it made me think someone may have an opinion of what I did with my KZ1100A.
After installing new Progressive fork springs, I found a set of rear Progressive shocks on ebay for $40 with the springs. I thought there would be a problem with the shock length being 1" shorter (12.5" vs. 13.5"), but they work very well. Actually the bike rides better, and the steering seems to require less effort. Best of all, my feet rest flat on the pavement now.

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
25 Apr 2014 08:56 #630361 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Adjusting forks on 81 750ltd

Bullridingmike wrote: Thank u that help a lot I bought 11 inch shocks for the rear so I figured I should probably lower the front as well. Do u think it would affect the engine if I don't lower the front?

It will not affect your engine but it will affect your steering geometry. Usually in a bad way. Another way to lower the front end is to raise the fork tubes in the triple trees. You can do this for a limited amount. Just be aware that handling will change and you need to be very careful while cornering.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.