How to remove oil seal in speedometer gear

• TomasDouglas
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Apr 2014 14:26 #629990 by TomasDouglas
How to remove oil seal in speedometer gear was created by TomasDouglas
I am rebuilding a 1980 KZ550 and the speedometer cable was broken and the gear was hard to rotate. I am trying to take it apart. I have removed the pinion gear which is damaged and I am trying to get the main gear out but I cannot remove the oil seal it seems to be seized to the outer housing.
I would appreciate any help or tips to remove the oil seal without damaging the housing.
Thanks Tomas

Attachment IMG_0310.jpg not found

Tomas Douglas
1980 KZ 550A
1986 GPZ 550
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2014 14:44 - 22 Apr 2014 15:42 #629992 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic How to remove oil seal in speedometer gear
I think you just pry it out... your speedo drive assy is a little different from the one on my 81 650... same seal though. I pried it out... don't recall how, but a pick would've been handy.
The seal is probably going to get damaged. Do you have a new replacement?
Last edit: 22 Apr 2014 15:42 by martin_csr.

More
22 Apr 2014 14:54 #629993 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic How to remove oil seal in speedometer gear
I don't think it is possible to remove the seal without damaging the seal, but you should be able to remove it without damaging the housing. Some folks drill a shallow hole in the seal and run a screw into the seal and pull it out by pulling on the screw. If you do this, don't drill too deep or you will hit the internals of the mechanism. The good news is that according to Kawasaki.com new seals are still available (see image below). Partzilla lists them at $4.30.

www.partzilla.com/search/?q=92049-1057&x=12&y=10

Attachment 00006_2014-04-22.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

• TomasDouglas
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Apr 2014 20:14 #630029 by TomasDouglas
Replied by TomasDouglas on topic How to remove oil seal in speedometer gear
Thanks for the reply. I will have to order a replacement pinion gear and will also order the oil seal but I need to first get it out to check the main gear, all these parts are still available. I tried using a pick but can't get it to go between the seal and the housing. I don't mind damaging the seal but I don't want to score or damage the housing. Maybe I will have to use a hammer on the pick.

Tomas Douglas
1980 KZ 550A
1986 GPZ 550

• TomasDouglas
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Apr 2014 20:19 #630031 by TomasDouglas
Replied by TomasDouglas on topic How to remove oil seal in speedometer gear
Thanks for the screw idea I will try it tomorrow. I am not worried about damaging the seal as I will order a replacement when I order the new pinion gear. I just don't want to damage or score the housing or the main gear. I have had problems with most of the rubber seals on this rebuild I guess when a bike sits for 12 years they all get seized in place.

Tomas Douglas
1980 KZ 550A
1986 GPZ 550