Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

74 z1 questions 04 Jul 2006 15:37 #59332

• Z1GSXR
  • Z1GSXR's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Questions as to what carbs to use as replacement to original (street perfromance). is it possible to use the original spoke wheels but convert it to dual front disk? also if anyone has exact details on how to convert front end to inverted forks? or just a good upgrade over stock.. and what wheels to use and still make it look nestalgic? and what are the absolute best tires to fit ont he original spokes (if kept) for best performance (not necessarily speed but handling) Sorry for all the questions and i did look through a whole bunch of other posts but didnt really gain any good info. im new to the kz life (my other baby is a k1) anyway any info would be greatly appriciated!!!! o yes and are the h2 spokes from 74 the same as the z1? if not i need a set of wheels for it. thanks for your help.

Sarver

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

74 z1 questions 04 Jul 2006 16:56 #59350

• duncan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Z1GSXR wrote:

Questions as to... what wheels to use and still make it look nestalgic? Sarver

i bid on this ebay z1 last autumn (unsuccessfully). i really liked the front wheel:

img154.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kzebay010om.jpg

img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kzebay020cd.jpg

74 z1 questions 04 Jul 2006 17:58 #59364

• wireman
  • Visitor
use wheels and suspension off of a newer 77-78 kz1000,its a pretty easy swap;)

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/07/04 20:59
Attachments:

74 z1 questions 04 Jul 2006 18:36 #59377

• Z1GSXR
  • User
Is the kz1000 a big upgrade? im looking more toward a newer sportbike suspension... but i dont want to use wheels that done really go with the bike. see my major concern is.. if im gonna go all out im gonna go alllll out. but im just trying to figure out if its worth it.. or if it would just be better to go with original wheels and suspension? because a. i would need a custom swingarm and a rear disk set up... which wouldnt be real real easy. just really trying to figure out if its worth the money to go with modern suspension or just goin with the original that is on it. (price 97 zx-7 front end) somthing like 500$ for forks triples and calipers not including wheels (front and rear) and master cylinder(wich i would probably go with a brembo set up. but is it worth it....?

Sarver

74 z1 questions 04 Jul 2006 19:38 #59388

• wireman
  • Visitor
well the z1 frames are really flimsy,so you need to do a lot of gusseting to them.the swingarm on a kz1000 is a little beefier than z1 in my experiance,you also gain needle bearings over bushings that z1 uses.you also gain rear disc brake over the z1s drum rear brake.i prefer the looks of kz front forks over z1 mostly since they dont have reflectors :sick: you can also use a late 70s kz650 basically same frontend and wheel as kz1000 and you get 4-bolt rear rotor to match rear brake dual discs is an easy swap once you switch to the newer hub.

74 z1 questions 04 Jul 2006 20:29 #59391

• Z1GSXR
  • User
sounds good... but for the price it seems that a new front end and swingarm conversion would be almost as practical.. ive been looking through the posts and have only gained a little knowledge on it. im looking more toward a gsxr swingarm (since i have a 01 1000 i can do the measuring real easy for the chain plus a swingarm on ebay is only like 75 bucks plus im upgrading my entire brake system on the 01 so i can use the old rotors and possibly some of the brake lines if the length is proper.) anway my MAJOR concern is how to place the rear master cylinder and connect it to the original brake lever and also would it be easier to have triple trees custom machined for the bike and forks i want? if so... would i just use a common tapered bearing set up for the z1? and you say gussets..were is the proper placing for them? anywere inparticular? my goal is to have basically a street fighter suspension wheels and brakes but everything else to remain original (i go to alot of track days on the 01 1000 so basically im saying i want this bike to go to deals gap and be able to rail it safely but fast and fun in nastalgic style... sound crazy?

Sarver

74 z1 questions 05 Jul 2006 11:43 #59503

• BohicaBob
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 35
I was able to fit a '82 KZ1100 rear brake master cylinder to my '73 Z1-900 without any welding. I just made a bracket to bolt this M/C to the upper right rear engine/frame mount. I could not use the stock rear brake lever, rather, I used a 1980 KZ1000A4 rear brake lever which fit the bill. See my signature regarding the fitting of radial tires to a '73 Z1-900 in my signature for details.

The Z1 and KZ frames need reinforcement. In addition, a sturdy aftermarket engine mounting kit is also a good idea.

Post edited by: BohicaBob, at: 2006/07/05 14:44

• Page: