650D tank swap

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
21 Mar 2014 13:20 #626047 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic 650D tank swap
hmmm rex might be right actually. it could be a LTD1000 tank as well,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2014 15:11 #626290 by Dozer
Replied by Dozer on topic 650D tank swap
Well, thanks guys...I guess it could be anything except a 650 tank! LOL The owner mentioned trying to pick up a scrap/junk 1000 tank for experiment...if he can find one and IF we can fab it up... I dont know where he got those pics or info about the tank but he seems to like that rounded humpy looking tank.
So we arent really certain just what tank is in the pics eh? Bummer. I still have time to research it,,,I need to get this baby humming.

Got a new battery and changed the oil and filter. While I was waiting for parts I jumped into the brakes...the front master cylinder was a mess...full of mud and deep red looking fluid. I tore it down and inspected it. So far the guts cleaned up pretty well and the piston and spring looks good. The rubbers are surprising supple still. I figured they'd be as hard as a rock. The cylinder itself is soaking in my parts cleaner. After I get the all of the crap out of it I can check the bore for pitting....then on to the calipers. Once thats done I'll get back to motor...actually the carbs.

Okay I am open to suggestions as what direction to take regarding the tank....
Thanks guys
D

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
More
08 Apr 2014 00:41 #628290 by DoctoRot
Hey dozer any progress? I have a 750 E that is sitting waiting is turn and you got me thinking about a tank swap so i threw a 1000LTD tank on there just to check it out. it fits on the frame nicely but the mounts will have to be changed on the tank to be secure. ill try and get a flick once it stops raining and i can wheel it out.

More
08 Apr 2014 09:31 #628328 by Dozer
Hi Doc.. thanks for that update. No I havent done anymore with it. I put it aside for the time being to work on the rest of the bike. The front master cylinder is complete scrap so I am considering what to do for that. It was full of "mud" sludge and badly pitted and erroded.
I pulled the front calipers apart. They are in much better shape. Still, I spent two cays cleaning & scrubbing them up to make them useable. I have seals on order & should be here around the 15th.

I am waiting on doing the rear brakes because I have to remove the rear wheel to get the caliper off. The master cylinder doesnt look like it has as much mud in it as the front did, but I am not ready for that step yet. The owner wants to send both wheels out for powder coating and install new tires and tubes, so I'll hold off till then.

So while I am waiting on parts, I changed the oil and filter, installed a new battery and did a quick visual on the carbs. Then I sprayed a shot of starter fluid in them and hit the starter. Dang if it didnt start on the second try and run for 30 seconds or so. First time its been started in 30 years! At least I know this bike will run now and it isnt a lost cause.

I pulled the carbs off and I am going thru them now. Except for external dirt, a little corrosion in the float bowls and two of the four small jets (low speed jets?) that are partially plugged, they look pretty good. I am probably going to tear them all the way down and soak them in gunk carb cleaner. I understand that there is someone who sells an O ring kit for them? I'll be needing one of those.

Still not certain what carbs are on this bike. I looked at the carb flange under the choke lever with a large magnifying glass and all I could see is the number 108. Doesnt mean anything to me so I dont know what they are, but they do have an accelerator pump!

Please keep me posted on the 1000 tank situation and what you think it would take to mount it. Thanks again for your help...I really do appreciate it.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
More
10 Apr 2014 03:34 - 10 Apr 2014 03:35 #628515 by DoctoRot
so i threw my 1000LTD thank on my 650 tonight. It sits very high. i dont think it looks good at all really. it sat much lower on the 750. This is the LTD tank so its narrower and smaller than a standard kz1000 tank, but the standard tank does not go lower. front and rear tank mounts would have to be created as nothing lines up, in fact the tank barely covers the front mounts. I still think a kz650 b1-b3 or C1-C3 tank would be the way to go.

Last edit: 10 Apr 2014 03:35 by DoctoRot.

More
10 Apr 2014 08:40 #628549 by Dozer
Thanks Doc...I'll pass this along to the owner. I think trying to mount that tank is a bit more that I can handle or want to do. I think I know what he wants but I dont know how to get him there due to my lack of model design knowledge. We'll have to mull it over. Maybe he can get some more info om those pics. Now an then one can come up with some cheap tanks to use for a model. I think he said he came across a 400 tank for like $20-30 on ebay. Probably isnt useable for anything except mocking up.

Thanks Doc
jd

More
10 Apr 2014 09:55 #628555 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic 650D tank swap
What's wrong with throwing one of the stock 650 coffin tanks on there? Those are pretty easy to find

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

More
10 Apr 2014 15:32 #628598 by Dozer
Not a thing is wrong with it and if it were my bike thats what Id do...simply restore it to stock. But the owner wants to make it into a cafe style bike like the pics of the one I posted in #625895. We are trying to figure out what that tank is.

Theres a little rust in the stock tank but its totally salvageable. This bike looks like it was just parked in the garage yesterday except for the damage over the years done by the brake fluid and dry rotted tires.
Attachments:

More
11 May 2014 19:34 #632143 by dur65geo
Replied by dur65geo on topic 650D tank swap
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationDozer you mentioned you may be selling the 650 tank and seat. I'm in the market for both for my new '77 KZ. Are you parting?

Another question for the gallery: I found a '77 KZ400 seat on ebay, anyone know if that would fit a same year 650?

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
More
12 May 2014 01:09 #632158 by DoctoRot
the kz400 seat will not bolt on. you may be able to make it fit with modifications. the stock 650 seat looks very similar to that. why not just get that instead?

More
12 May 2014 05:40 #632166 by dur65geo
Replied by dur65geo on topic 650D tank swap
gotcha. I haven't found a stock 650 seat of reasonable price yet.

More
12 May 2014 09:13 #632181 by Dozer
I am pretty sure the seat and tank will be for sale a little later. The owner still wants to go the cafe route and change out the tank for a different look. I have no idea what he'll ask for it but Id say the seat is a solid 8-9 out of 10. Still has the decals on the bottom of the seat pan that look brand new. I wish more than anything he would just restore it but its his bike and he want what he wants.

I just finished rebuilding the carbs and am ready to bench sync them, bolt them on and run it. Last week I was able to score a 4 tube mercury manometer from a buddy. He used on an older 4 cyl gold wing. He has a FI Harley now so he has no more need for it. Syncing the 650 should be a snap I think....I hope,,

I am still at a loss for the front caliper dust cover rings....