Front Fork Oil

More
18 Mar 2014 13:17 #625667 by jakedude
Front Fork Oil was created by jakedude
My kawasaki manual for my KZ1000-P7 call out 10W20 for the fork oil. I can't source that. Should I just pick an oil between 10 and 20 W? I'm assuming the heavier wait oil would produce a stiffer fork. Little help.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2014 13:29 #625668 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Front Fork Oil
I've used Bel Ray 15W Fork Oil since my bike was new and it has always worked great. I replace it every 2 years. Be sure to measure the fork oil level correctly using the specs in the manual. You measure it from the top of the fork tube down to the top of the fork oil level (like the oil dipstick in a car engine) using a rod or wooden dowel. The manual will give the correct distance and whether or not the springs should be in place during measurement. The front end must be elevated off the ground and the forks fully extended while measuring, and it's good to go back and check again after putting some miles on the bike in case any air pockets were in the fork cylinders. One really nice thing about Bel Ray fork oil is that they offer a bunch of different weights from 2.5 - 30w (see link), and they can be mixed if you wish to fine tune the forks for a specific stiffness. Straight 15w works fine for me, and I've never had a seal leak. Ed

www.belray.com/bel-ray-high-performance-fork-oil

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
19 Mar 2014 05:04 #625735 by toad
Replied by toad on topic Front Fork Oil
agree 15 w maybe you might like 20

78 kz 1000
wiesco 1015
29mm smoothbores
gs1100 swingarm
gsxr rear