Swingarm pinch bolt

More
19 Mar 2014 14:04 #625784 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Swingarm pinch bolt

Dr. Gamma wrote: ........I picked up that trick back in 1978 on the DesRoche built Vetter Superbikes. Any machine shop can make you a few. I used a adjustable ream to enlarge the pivot holes in the frame so the swing arm bolt had a super tight fit to the frame. Then had my machine shop hone the inner swing sleeve so the oversize swing arm bolt had zero clearance between the two. If you have .020ths play at the pivot bolt, just think how much movement there is at the end of the swing arm where your rear axle is.

Even on my S1 I went to a oversize swing arm bolt. When I first got my S1 it wobbled pretty bad. I was really disappointed in its handling compared to my homebuilt KZ1000 Superbike. There was a noticeable improvement in the handling of the S1 with just installing the oversize swing arm bolt.........

That makes a LOT more sense than welding it. Especially when you consider that you will want to remove that swing arm one day even if it's only to change bushings (or bearings if you have them). I can't imagine needing to break a weld just to swap bushings. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2014 12:44 #627434 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic Swingarm pinch bolt
the 1025 early honda superbikes used to have such a pinch bolt. it was a bolt that pressed on the swingarm pivot in the direction of the chain pull, to cancell indeed, any play there.

should have a pic in my collection of Cycle magazines... lemme see
The following user(s) said Thank You: kaw-a-holic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.