New fork springs for the KZ1100A-2

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
08 Mar 2014 20:11 - 12 Mar 2014 18:44 #624575 by daveo
New fork springs for the KZ1100A-2 was created by daveo
I'm looking into replacing the original (34 year old) fork springs, and wonder if there is anything to be concerned about (or tricks) while putting them in, and what experience I should expect to enjoy. The timing would be good, since I want to change out the fork oil before riding season starts. Any thoughts on recommended oil and weight to use?
:whistle: Spring thinking:
:)

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 12 Mar 2014 18:44 by daveo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GKBO
  • User
  • Saving old"dead" bikes
More
08 Mar 2014 21:04 #624581 by GKBO
Replied by GKBO on topic New fork springs for the 1100A-2
If you want to go with straight rate spring try Soncis www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/ .Don't have them on my classic Suzuki's,yet.Did make the front of my 06 SV650 WAY better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

More
09 Mar 2014 07:06 - 09 Mar 2014 07:08 #624605 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New fork springs for the 1100A-2
I've used Bel Ray 15W Fork Oil since my bike was new and it has always worked great. I replace it every 2 years. Be sure to measure the fork oil level correctly using the specs in the manual. You measure it from the top of the fork tube down to the top of the fork oil level (like the oil dipstick in a car engine) using a rod or wooden dowel. The manual will give the correct distance and whether or not the springs should be in place during measurement. The front end must be elevated off the ground and the forks fully extended while measuring, and it's good to go back and check again after putting some miles on the bike in case any air pockets were in the fork cylinders. One really nice thing about Bel Ray fork oil is that they offer a bunch of different weights from 2.5 - 30w (see link), and they can be mixed if you wish to fine tune the forks for a specific stiffness. Straight 15w works fine for me, and I've never had a seal leak. Ed

www.belray.com/bel-ray-high-performance-fork-oil

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 09 Mar 2014 07:08 by 650ed.

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
10 Mar 2014 11:18 #624718 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic New fork springs for the 1100A-2
I'm debating changing the springs, but I don't know what to expect. Will spring length be the same as OEM, and will I still need to pressurize the forks with air? There seem to be differing opinions regarding that.
We will have a lot of pot-holes to endure here this Spring, and I'm thinking new springs will help.
I will likely go with the 15 wt. Bell Ray fork oil suggested. :)

Thanks guys.

1982 KZ1100-A2

• GKBO
  • User
  • Saving old"dead" bikes
More
10 Mar 2014 12:07 #624723 by GKBO
Replied by GKBO on topic New fork springs for the 1100A-2
The Sonics will not be the same length as OEM but will come with clear instructions on how to cut the included PVC pipe to make a spacer.No air will be needed for a good ride.When the time comes with my 82 750GPz I'm going to get a set for it. Probably do my 78 GS1000 to.

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
11 Mar 2014 19:06 #624898 by daveo

GKBO wrote: The Sonics will not be the same length as OEM but will come with clear instructions on how to cut the included PVC pipe to make a spacer.No air will be needed for a good ride.When the time comes with my 82 750GPz I'm going to get a set for it. Probably do my 78 GS1000 to.

I looked, but wasn't able to find these available for my KZ1100.
Wound up ordering the Progressive 11-1110 shown as the correct set for the bike. However, I thought they would be sized to simply drop-in without need for spacers. I guess I was wrong about that, after a little more research.
They are due to arrive in a couple days, and hopefully by the weekend I'll be playing with them. :kiss:

1982 KZ1100-A2

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
11 Mar 2014 21:18 - 11 Mar 2014 21:19 #624914 by DOHC
Replied by DOHC on topic New fork springs for the 1100A-2

daveo wrote: I looked, but wasn't able to find these available for my KZ1100.
Wound up ordering the Progressive 11-1110 shown as the correct set for the bike.

You could also look into Race Tech: racetech.com/page/id/56

I don't have any personal experience with them, but they offer a lot of cool stuff. It looks like they offer fork springs in a range of spring rates as well.

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
Last edit: 11 Mar 2014 21:19 by DOHC.

More
11 Mar 2014 22:08 - 11 Mar 2014 22:09 #624917 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic New fork springs for the 1100A-2
I used to live in MT and the roads are not really nice up that way either. I replaced mine with a set of progressives and loved them. I too used 15W Bellray oil. If I remember correctly we took stock spacers out for the uprade. Who ever you buy them from will tell you how to space them for your model if it is needed. My 77 KZ1000a1 did not have air so I have no comment there. The ride was very nice on the new springs and oil. They eliminated brake diving on the front end. The hardest part for me was making a tool to take the for tubes apart. Other than that very simple on my bike. If its the same part number as my bike, I would be happy to sell you my springs. I bent my forks and upgraded to USD forks. The springs have maybe 1500 miles on them.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
Last edit: 11 Mar 2014 22:09 by kaw-a-holic.

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
12 Mar 2014 03:46 #624925 by daveo

kaw-a-holic wrote: I used to live in MT and the roads are not really nice up that way either. I replaced mine with a set of progressives and loved them. I too used 15W Bellray oil. If I remember correctly we took stock spacers out for the uprade. Who ever you buy them from will tell you how to space them for your model if it is needed. My 77 KZ1000a1 did not have air so I have no comment there. The ride was very nice on the new springs and oil. They eliminated brake diving on the front end. The hardest part for me was making a tool to take the for tubes apart. Other than that very simple on my bike. If its the same part number as my bike, I would be happy to sell you my springs. I bent my forks and upgraded to USD forks. The springs have maybe 1500 miles on them.

:) That is a great offer, and I'd seriously consider it had I not already ordered a set. Thanks!
Spring is near!!!

1982 KZ1100-A2