78 SR650 rear brake bleeding issues

More
02 Mar 2014 15:56 #623921 by Britome
78 SR650 rear brake bleeding issues was created by Britome
I've bled a lot of brakes on different bikes but I'm hoping there is something to this I'm missing.

Bike hasn't been ridden in years and the fluid had chunks in it. Suctioned out the resivoir and poured new fluid in but I just can't get it to flow thru the system. Pushing the brake lever down doesn't get much movement at all. I have forced through about 10" of fluid into the hose but can't get pressure to push more.

I finally splurged and ordered a vac. In the meantime, is there a trick I'm missing? Multiple pumps of the lever before I turn the nipple just doesn't get me flow n

Advice is greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2014 17:37 #623944 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic 78 SR650 rear brake bleeding issues
What you are missing is the fact that you need to rebuild the master cylinder and caliper. Unfortunately, if the system was to the point where there are chunks in it, you have no other choice.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

More
02 Mar 2014 18:50 #623956 by Britome
Replied by Britome on topic 78 SR650 rear brake bleeding issues
Ugh. I never considered melted gaskets and seals. Thx. This bike is kicking my ass

More
02 Mar 2014 18:50 #623958 by Britome
Replied by Britome on topic 78 SR650 rear brake bleeding issues
Or at least my bank acct

More
02 Mar 2014 19:01 #623960 by JimB
Replied by JimB on topic 78 SR650 rear brake bleeding issues
Prior to rebuilding it you might want to check and see if you are getting any pressue from the piston, Disconnect everythingup to the first connection point prior to any brake line. Put your finger over the hole and pump the brake lever and feel if there is any air pressure coming out of the brake cylinder. If so then you need to work the fluid down thru the system using this method. Let the air push your finger away and when you release the lever put your finger back on the opening not allowing any air back in. When you get a good stream thru that opening connect the first brake line and do the same,...then connect the next joint,....then finally the front or rear brake. If you are not getting any pressure thru the cylinder then you will have to rebuild.

1978 KZ1000A2, 1980 KZ1000E, 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD