Wheel bearing spacer???

More
01 Mar 2014 18:03 #623788 by Schmeck
Wheel bearing spacer??? was created by Schmeck
Can someone explain to me the point of the spacer that goes between the front wheel bearings ? it has a ring in the center and isn't even flush to the id of the wheel hub . What is its purpose and why isn't it flush with the hub ? -Schmeck

1979 kz750 twin -Soon to be roadworthy
1988 El250 engine in custom hard tail frame - collecting dust

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2014 18:15 #623792 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Wheel bearing spacer???
Without it, the inside races of the two bearings will get squeezed together when you tighten the axle nut and the bearings will be destroyed very quickly. This will also bind up the wheel. The spacer keeps the inner races spaced properly. The ring just stops the spacer from falling down out of reach. Without the ring, if the spacer falls down between the bearings, you will have a hell ofa time getting the spacer back up into position. Just make sure the ring doesn't really touch anything else inside the wheel. The ring's position is not critical.

More
01 Mar 2014 19:19 #623802 by Schmeck
Replied by Schmeck on topic Wheel bearing spacer???
Oh okay kool . I find it really odd that even with the ring the spacer has a lot of room to move . Then again I did not design the wheels so what do I know.

More
01 Mar 2014 19:45 #623809 by Schmeck
Is there any gap or is the spacer tightly flush between the bearings? I'm making my own spacer which is why I am asking . It will be same exact length as the original just bigger id

More
02 Mar 2014 04:54 - 02 Mar 2014 04:58 #623842 by ed spangler
Replied by ed spangler on topic Wheel bearing spacer???

Schmeck wrote: Is there any gap or is the spacer tightly flush between the bearings? I'm making my own spacer which is why I am asking . It will be same exact length as the original just bigger id

Just a suggesstion and some background.I noticed the front wheel on my '75 Z1-B 900 was not turning freely
(, Bearings were fairly new and had only been in bike a year or so and were installed as part of a major restoration / Mod..in retrospect I should have checked this more carefully at that time..)...anyway recently after removing the wheel discovered that the spacer inside the front wheel had a small metal "Burr" on it that was causing the bearings to be in a bind.Almost impossible to see, also the aftermarket bearings were maybe ten thousandths of an inch wider/ thicker than the old OE Bearings I had kept!! After VERY CAREFULY removing just a couple thousandths of metal, spacer was then snug but not causing any bind of bearing. Spacer does need to be "Snug" against bearings but should not cause bearings to be in a bind. Beter measure the thickness of ones you are using against OE ones if you have them with a quality caliper. All I can say is my "Fix" worked, I am sure someone else may have a different opinion on this and thats fine. My front wheel now turns freely, spacer fits inside wheel as it should, and its safe and thats all I gotta say.To each his own.
Good Luck

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's
Last edit: 02 Mar 2014 04:58 by ed spangler.

More
02 Mar 2014 05:38 #623844 by Schmeck
Well I had made a spacer but now I'm thinking I should just have the original one machined. Thanks for posting though , really has me thinkin bout it now

More
02 Mar 2014 05:44 #623846 by Schmeck
Here's a question though , do I really need the ring on the spacer? The bearings carry the load and the spacer keeps them (spaced) so It doesn't seem like I need the ring at all

More
02 Mar 2014 09:22 #623875 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Wheel bearing spacer???

Schmeck wrote: Here's a question though , do I really need the ring on the spacer? The bearings carry the load and the spacer keeps them (spaced) so It doesn't seem like I need the ring at all

loudhvx wrote: . . . The ring just stops the spacer from falling down out of reach. Without the ring, if the spacer falls down between the bearings, you will have a hell ofa time getting the spacer back up into position. Just make sure the ring doesn't really touch anything else inside the wheel. The ring's position is not critical.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
02 Mar 2014 16:08 #623923 by Schmeck
Haha . Thanks . I think