KZ440 Lowered Fork

More
01 Mar 2014 15:58 #623773 by TheWHall
KZ440 Lowered Fork was created by TheWHall
I've been thinking about lowering the front forks on my 440 for a while now and what wondering what the best way to go around it was. Internally or externally? And where to pick up the stuff for internal lowering as I want to do it right.

Slowly but surely

1980 KZ440 trackerish build (on a college kids budget)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2014 01:21 #623834 by F1schumie
Replied by F1schumie on topic KZ440 Lowered Fork
I'm gonna catch some flak for this..

I'd did this only on a non Kawi...

I loosened the front forks and lowered the front by 2".. So cheap.. It allowed me to use either clip ons for $100 roughly or what I'd did 7/8" solid aluminum ..I lightly and precisely sanded a slight notch around the fork tubes..

This gave me a lowered drag style bike and the mod cost me $7.. And I still think that 7/8" solid aluminum under impact is equal to tin aftermarket bars..
Attachments:

More
02 Mar 2014 06:36 #623853 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic KZ440 Lowered Fork
If your goal is to lower the front of the bike, then raising the forks is the most common method. Be sure not to go toofar, as the tire or fender may make contact with the the exhaust pipes or engine or such when fully compressed. (Big bump, heavy braking.)
If you want to lower the forks in order to raise the front chopper style, then longer inner fork tubes are likely in your future. They can be custom made, or you may be able to fab up some extensions for the stock tubes.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
03 Mar 2014 16:09 #624066 by TheWHall
Replied by TheWHall on topic KZ440 Lowered Fork
Alright thanks guys, I'm on a pretty tight budget so I'll probably raise the forks and see how it looks. Thanks for the help!

Slowly but surely

1980 KZ440 trackerish build (on a college kids budget)

More
03 Mar 2014 19:25 #624087 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ440 Lowered Fork
Will likely quicken the steering, and may increase tendency to speed wobble.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
05 Mar 2014 00:09 #624229 by F1schumie
Replied by F1schumie on topic KZ440 Lowered Fork
Ohh yeah death wobble.. Not good

If you never experienced it be prepared sometimes more speed doesn't correct and can throw you off a bike just like an old western movie with a guy on a horse..

If raisng your forks triple check fluids springs air pressure brake pad drag and aero package.. Sometimes minor changes of any of these can help or ruin your fun.

Look at rpm and speed most kawis have a rpm shake spot but usually gone soon after..