Preventing further rust on inside of frame

More
27 Feb 2014 11:58 #623538 by tommyboah
I have an old 83 KZ1000R that has some issues with rust inside the frame and I've had parts of the lower frame replaced with new material. If i shake the bare frame I hear that there is still some loose rust particles (dust) inside the frame and some will fall out if i hold the frame upright and shake it.

In order to prevent more rust I am considering of drilling a hole in the frame and spraying some rust inhibiting "sludge" to seal the inside of the frame. Do any of you have any experience with this kind of treatment? Should I do it, or should I let it be?

.Tommyboy

.Tommyboy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
27 Feb 2014 18:31 #623579 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Preventing further rust on inside of frame
How bad was the frame rusted?

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
27 Feb 2014 22:28 #623597 by F1schumie
Replied by F1schumie on topic Preventing further rust on inside of frame
If it were my frame I'd blow it with a serious compressor and see were the holes were .. Maybe sand etc.. Maybe have a buddy weld it shut..

I've always hated the idea of using oil on rust I feel it softens the steel..

I'd rather leave a little sand for the moisture to grab..

Your high pressure air should expose where the bad is coming from ..

More
28 Feb 2014 00:02 #623600 by rsvfletch
Replied by rsvfletch on topic Preventing further rust on inside of frame
Hi I had the same problem on my GPz1100. I cut all the damaged metal out after having the frame blasted and the repaired it. I then welded up all ot the vent holes that serve no purpose after manufacture other than to let water in. On my model there's a tube on the left down tube for a lock so I drilled down and sprayed a full can of ACF 50 into the frame and then put the plug back in. This way I can put more in maybe twice a year?
If you can find one of kawasaki's vent holes in a good place I'd use it as a filler and buy a grommet/plug from a DIY shop.

More