'88 KZ1000p speedometer interior lens cleaning

More
19 Feb 2014 10:21 #622776 by jakedude
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationMy 88 KZ1000 speedometer and tachometer lenses is dirty on the inside due to condensation or water getting up inside. I would like to clean these inside lenses surfaces but both instruments are sealed with a crimped ring. I could cut the ring off, but how do I then put them back together? I have found the following link for and earlier KZ1000p.

This shows a screw together ring and a chrome top housing. This is not for the '88 and I don't want the chrome top housing. I have also found the ring un-crimped, but I don't have a crimping tool. Any idea where I could find a screw together ring for an '88. Other ideas would be appreciated.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2014 10:35 - 19 Feb 2014 10:36 #622779 by 650ed
Take a look at the following link. It shows un-crimping and re-crimping the ring with no special tool. When re-crimping it would help to use tape to protect the upper surface of the ring. Ed

www.wgcarbs.com/index.php/using-joomla/e...ories/90-gauge-clean

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 19 Feb 2014 10:36 by 650ed.

More
19 Feb 2014 14:49 #622800 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic '88 KZ1000p speedometer interior lens cleaning
Simple as that. Thanks.

More
20 Feb 2014 13:04 #622883 by DesertKZ
Replied by DesertKZ on topic '88 KZ1000p speedometer interior lens cleaning
Wow that write-up made it look easy. I had to replace a lens and had a bear of a time with the new seal, trying to get it clamped up. Patience..... :)

1979 KZ1000 Shaft
1979 CX500C
1975 GT750 Smoker
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
21 Feb 2014 01:23 #622913 by Patton
This link may be of interest:

Click > www.zresto.com/

Here's a diy option from an earlier thread ---

duncan wrote:
i've taken the tach apart but not the speedo. it's real easy if you use a dremel to cut the chrome ring, and then some jweld and hose clamp to cement it back together.

apeman wrote:
The old article suggests removing the band around the gauges by levering it up from the underside. I have found that results in too much damage to the band to make it look good after it is put back on, and crimped down. Therefore, I instead took a dremel with a cut-off wheel to the band, and sliced through it, being carefull not to damage the gauge cover. Then I slipped off the band, and did my gauge clean-up. To reinstall, I assembled the cover onto the gauge, slipped the band on, and held it tightly in place with a rubber band. Then I placed a drop of JBweld epoxy onto the gap in the band, and let it dry. (Make sure you mount the gap in the band at an location that will not be readily visible when the gauge is remounted onto the bike.) That has been working well for over a year.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 Feb 2014 12:11 - 23 Feb 2014 12:12 #623075 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic '88 KZ1000p speedometer interior lens cleaning
Well i tried prying the band from the backside with a screw driver and was quickly sorry that I did. So I gave up on that path and used a dremel to cut it. Then after cleaning the lens, I drilled two small holes in the ring on either side of the cut and threaded mechanics wire through the holes. After pressing the ring back on the best I could I slowly twisted the mechanics wire while adjusting the ring to make sure it was going on as desired. After that was done, I cut the mechanics wire leaving about 4 twists and pressed the twisted wire down against the ring. Then I applied a little clear RTV to joint. The joint plus mechanics wire creates a joint about a quarter inch long, but that joint is on the bottom side of the gauges so it doesn't bother me. I can also now just cut the wire and repeat the procedure in the future if I need to.

Last edit: 23 Feb 2014 12:12 by jakedude. Reason: correction for clarity

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
23 Feb 2014 21:17 #623132 by wireman
I opened a set of gauges one time, never again!
All I can say is thank god for those cheasey chrome clamp on covers to hide the carnage.

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.