wtb original kz900 caliper.

• NapalmZ
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • work while bent
More
17 Dec 2013 16:42 - 17 Dec 2013 16:49 #615750 by NapalmZ
wtb original kz900 caliper. was created by NapalmZ
well, my front* caliper is seized. time for a new one.

EDIT:*

1976 kz900 a4 with delkevic 4 in to 1
Last edit: 17 Dec 2013 16:49 by NapalmZ.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2013 17:16 #615755 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic wtb original kz900 caliper.
If not already tried, there are several methods to un-seize them. Some being more aggressive than the standard compressed air technique.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
17 Dec 2013 18:23 #615767 by kz10006
Replied by kz10006 on topic wtb original kz900 caliper.
Pm sent
The following user(s) said Thank You: roy-b-boy-b

More
17 Dec 2013 21:13 #615780 by Patton
Here are some of the various methods which might be used to attempt removing a seized piston from the brake caliper.

Would first soak the caliper in Kroil, Liquid Wrench, PBBlaster, or 50-50 ATF/acetone mixture, or other penetrant, for at least a day, or even longer, in an effort to help loosen the piston.

Then use compressed air -- at least 100 psi -- through the fluid intake hole (where the removed banjo bolt attached), trying to blow the piston out of the caliper. Use a pad over exposed end of the piston. And keep fingers and other body parts clear of the piston when it shoots from the caliper. Leave the bleeder in its usual tightened position so air won't escape through the bleeder.

If unsuccessful, may boil the caliper in water for a minute or so, then remove and immediately re-try the compressed air. Also, try turning the piston if able to grasp it without damaging it.

Could also re-attach line to master cylinder, and try using normal brake line pressure to push out the caliper piston.

If caliper still won't budge -- may try using a grease gun attached to the bleeder nipple. Use a bolt to block off the banjo bolt hole. And pump grease pressure into the caliper, which might be sufficient to press out the piston. Again, keep body parts out of the line of fire.

Finally, there's the truly desperate fix-it-or-kill-it mode --- fill the caliper with water, close the air valve, block the intake, and put in freezer. Either piston comes out or caliper bursts.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
17 Dec 2013 21:20 #615781 by Patton
Once removed, would clean up the piston (remove rust and corrosion) with fine steel wool or otherwise. Same for inside the chamber. The main idea is to achieve a smooth enough fit whereby fluid under pressure won't leak past the piston and seal.

If the caliper bore seems okay, the piston may be replaced if necessary.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
17 Dec 2013 21:33 #615782 by Patton
This thread is temporarily relocated to the Chassis forum, being incident to the matters of attempting to remove the seized caliper piston and possibly restoring the existing caliper.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
18 Dec 2013 04:34 #615790 by NakedFun
Replied by NakedFun on topic wtb original kz900 caliper.
These....
kwickstand.net/Hyper-Formance.com/KWICK_Kaliper_Pliers.html

These are inside out vise grips that are modified Armstrong brand. They sell two sizes. The guy here buys the smaller size and cuts/modifies the jaws to fit into smaller multiple piston calipers. They make a larger size that works easily for large, single piston stuff like the KZ. Can find them on Amazon for like $20.

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
18 Dec 2013 15:12 #615847 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic wtb original kz900 caliper.
I don't know if using fine steel wool is a good idea. Scotch bright would be better. Steel wool will imbed fine partials of steel into the aluminum alloy used in the caliper which will lead to dissimilar metal corrosion. I used to get a kick out of the guys who cleaned up their aluminum wheels with steel wool. Looked great when they were done but a week later looked like caw caw again.

The caliper piston in my Z1B was stainless steel and was sticking because of some parts on the outside of the piston was corroded and interfering with brake pad movement. A well sealed air hose with 120 psi to the line opening should blow your piston right out of the caliper so be careful. good luck.

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

• NapalmZ
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • work while bent
More
18 Dec 2013 17:10 #615862 by NapalmZ
Replied by NapalmZ on topic wtb original kz900 caliper.
got together with a few guys at the machine shop i work at and tried pulling the brass fitting so we could connect an air line. we tried everything aside from drilling out and re tapping to the next size. that fitting will not come out. as stuck as it is i gave up on the piston.

the last straw was when the vice grips sheared the head.

time to pony up.

1976 kz900 a4 with delkevic 4 in to 1

More
19 Dec 2013 05:21 #615890 by holiday442
Replied by holiday442 on topic wtb original kz900 caliper.
If you cannot repair your caliper, I might have a used operating one. Send me a picture of exactly what you have so I can compare. If I have one, it will not be too expensive for sure.
Thanks
e-mail holiday442@charter.net if you need me to look at my parts.

More
19 Dec 2013 07:36 #615901 by NakedFun
Replied by NakedFun on topic wtb original kz900 caliper.
Can you carefully use a drill but set in 32nd's of a inch and slowly keep drilling out the remaining portion of the fitting until you weaken the barrel of the fitting and the tension in the threads let loose? I have done this many times with over tightened and corroded fasteners while still leaving the female threads intact.

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

More
19 Dec 2013 08:39 #615913 by ZERO
Replied by ZERO on topic wtb original kz900 caliper.
Where are you located? I'd be happy to free it up for you. FREE

Only Kawasakis have a soul 1977 Kawi KZ1000 special 2000 Kawi ZRX1100