KZ1000 B3 rear master cylinder

More
13 Dec 2013 00:13 #615427 by woodsy
KZ1000 B3 rear master cylinder was created by woodsy
Hi, looking for some advice on my rear master cylinder, last winter i changed the seals and piston etc with genuine Kwak parts, its been sat in the shed for the last 3 months and i have just brought it inside for the winter for some engine work, i noticed however that the rear master cylinder is leaking again, down the push rod that connects to the back brake pedal

the question is - is there an alternative, more modern master cylinder that will fit without too much work, i want to upgrade to something a bit better than trying to source an original one from a breakers that could have the same problems eventually

cheers :)

KZ 1000 B3 ltd - Imported from USA in 1994 - Live in Cornwall UK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2013 11:58 #615516 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic KZ1000 B3 rear master cylinder
try putting a brick, or something heavy enough to keep the brake pedal pressed down over night, sometimes that helps swell up the seals & stop the leak, P.S. top off your reservoir first ....good luck ..Pete

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

More
14 Dec 2013 19:23 #615541 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ1000 B3 rear master cylinder

woodsy wrote: Hi, looking for some advice on my rear master cylinder, last winter i changed the seals and piston etc with genuine Kwak parts, its been sat in the shed for the last 3 months and i have just brought it inside for the winter for some engine work, i noticed however that the rear master cylinder is leaking again, down the push rod that connects to the back brake pedal . . . .

Perhaps the bore was pitted (and not lightly dressed to remove high spots before reassembly); or maybe the secondary cup was damaged during reassembly; or for whatever reason an incorrect piston assembly was installed?

Is it possible that the escaping fluid is coming from the banjo fitting (loose, bad washer, etc.) and weeping to the push rod?

A new piston assembly should contain the fluid unless the bore is too badly pitted.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD