Can I grind down rear brake shoes and not die?

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
More
02 Dec 2013 08:52 #614615 by Killman
I ordered in some new shoes for the rear drum on my 83 kz440 ltd. At least that's what I thought that I ordered. Apparently what I really ordered were two hunks of metal with linings about 1.5mm too thick to fit into the drum housing.
Too late to send them back. Can I safely grind these things down somehow, so that they fit properly? Or is that going to just fubar them, and me? Maybe there's some really simple thing that's not in the FSM or the Clymer that everyone but me just knows to do to get these blasted things in right?

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2013 09:26 #614618 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Can I grind down rear brake shoes and not die?
What brake shoes did you get? I think you need a machine to properly grind brake shoes. I'd be concerned about ruining the drum if it's done wrong.

More
02 Dec 2013 09:57 #614621 by elfmagic17
Replied by elfmagic17 on topic Can I grind down rear brake shoes and not die?
Find a place that re-lines shoes. usually a HD truck shop they may be able to point you in the right direction where to get it done.

Kenny Hicks
74 Honda CB550
75 Honda CB360 (runs and rides good but not a show bike)
77 KZ650B1 (Runs Great, but needs painted and a little work.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Dec 2013 10:31 #614622 by Killman
Thanks Guys.

In theory, they're supposed to be the right shoes, but they don't fit. Seems like it would be cheaper just to get a new set than to pay to have them relined, maybe not though?
After getting the wrong thing once, I'm thinking I should find a reputable source, still don't want to pay through the nose though. I seem to have "misplaced" the new pads for the front disc as well. Which is maddening for a thrifty soul, (read: cheap bastard) such as myself.
Been stupid busy with school for the last few months, feels like I'm a stranger in my own shop. :laugh:

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

More
02 Dec 2013 11:50 #614629 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Can I grind down rear brake shoes and not die?
All the KZ440's use the same rear shoe. So either you have the wrong shoe, or someone swapped out the rear wheel... what shoes do you have?

EBC 706 or Vesrah VBS-413 would be correct.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
02 Dec 2013 12:02 - 02 Dec 2013 12:05 #614631 by martin_csr
It has been reported once or twice that some aftermarket brake shoes don't fit right,
but I don't know if it was the shoes' fault or if the installer goofed. I installed Vesrah
brake shoes w no problems (1981 KZ650-CSR)

Just a note. Others had mentioned brake squeal, so I sanded the leading edges of the shoes & I also very evenly sanded the glazing off the drum using 100 grit. no noise.
Do not breathe the dust as it may contain asbestos.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2013 12:05 by martin_csr.

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Dec 2013 12:06 #614632 by Killman
The box says EBC-706, no guarantees that that's what I've got, though. Wouldn't be the first time. No part number on the actual shoes, that I can see, although there's a number 8 on one.
The wheel is a 16", I suppose someone could've swapped it out, but it's supposed to be a 16" and that's what I've got. My eyes aren't what they used to be, perhaps there's some residue from the old shoes that needs to be cleaned out somehow, that I didn't see?

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

More
02 Dec 2013 12:48 #614635 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Can I grind down rear brake shoes and not die?
Unfortunately EBC doesn't stamp the shoes with their part number. The '8' casting is consistent with the 706 shoes on our shelf.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
02 Dec 2013 12:49 #614636 by martin_csr
I don't understand the question about the old shoes - you just toss those & install the new ones.

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Dec 2013 12:51 - 02 Dec 2013 12:57 #614637 by Killman
I was wondering if the old shoes had perhaps left behind some residue on the interior of the drum that needed to be removed. Maybe some sort of build-up that was making the new shoes seem too thick.

Thanks for the info Jeff, although it's frustrating news. If I do have the right shoes, barring some manufacturing error, then the problem is either with me, or the wheel. The wheel seems correct and in fine shape. The procedure isn't exactly complicated, and I referred to both manuals just to make sure I wasn't missing something.

No point ordering new shoes if I already have the right ones. I don't suppose I could ask Jeff to measure the thickness of the shoes that he has on the shelf? I have a Spec. manual for '83 Kawi's, and it indicated that the shoes I have are 1.5 mm too thick for OEM.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack
Last edit: 02 Dec 2013 12:57 by Killman.

More
02 Dec 2013 15:43 - 02 Dec 2013 15:44 #614645 by martin_csr
The drum could have glazing, but I doubt that it amounts to much in regards to the thickness.

It sounds to me like the new shoes are too thick. I guess I'd try a different brand, such as Vesrah or oem. :unsure:
Last edit: 02 Dec 2013 15:44 by martin_csr.

More
02 Dec 2013 19:06 #614659 by elfmagic17
Replied by elfmagic17 on topic Can I grind down rear brake shoes and not die?

Killman wrote: Thanks Guys.

In theory, they're supposed to be the right shoes, but they don't fit. Seems like it would be cheaper just to get a new set than to pay to have them relined, maybe not though?
After getting the wrong thing once, I'm thinking I should find a reputable source, still don't want to pay through the nose though. I seem to have "misplaced" the new pads for the front disc as well. Which is maddening for a thrifty soul, (read: cheap bastard) such as myself.
Been stupid busy with school for the last few months, feels like I'm a stranger in my own shop. :laugh:

My point is that they may be able to resurface them to the correct thickness if that's possible.

Kenny Hicks
74 Honda CB550
75 Honda CB360 (runs and rides good but not a show bike)
77 KZ650B1 (Runs Great, but needs painted and a little work.)