Fork Disassembly- hex bolt & damping rod spinning

More
18 Nov 2013 11:57 #613377 by pbmax
I've read up on this, BUT my damping rods do not have a socket of any type to use a tool on. Its just a smooth round hole :angry:

Things I've tried in various combinations:
- heat
- impact wrench
- jamming a broom stick down there
- sticking rubber down there for more grip with the broom stick

The bolt and damping rod spin and spin without a care in the world.

I used the impact wrench so much that the bolt was getting stripped. So now I'm trying to grind the head off with a dremel, pull the outer lower tube off, then remove the rest of the bolt when I can grab both and keep them from spinning. Dremel is slow going though.

Any other ideas for the other fork?

Thanks!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2013 12:04 #613379 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Fork Disassembly- hex bolt & damping rod spinning
Use a good penetrant & give it time to work (Kroil is best. LiquidWrench penetrating spray lubricant is good).
Also, aapply heat w a propane torch. After heating, I immerse the part in water (room temp).
Vibration helps too - use a wood black & mallet.

More
18 Nov 2013 12:09 #613380 by Kidkawie
Leave the fork assembled and try with an impact. If it spins just compress the fork an inch or so with a strap or suitable jig. You can also lay it on a bench and use the impact to compress the fork pushing it against the wall.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
18 Nov 2013 12:25 #613384 by 650ed
Take a look at the center tool, top row. It should work. Ed

www.racetech.com/page/id/70

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
18 Nov 2013 13:00 #613393 by Kidkawie
If you laid on the impact and just spun the snot out of the damper rod, you probably ruined the seal.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
19 Nov 2013 04:38 #613449 by pbmax
Thanks everyone.

I got the first one off by drilling the head off the bolt with a hand drill. Not fun at all, but it worked.

I'll try some of your suggestions on the second fork.

More
19 Nov 2013 18:37 #613499 by RonKZ650
Now you have the first one apart you can look at it and see what tool could be improvised as a holder. Every model is a little different in what size and shape of holder tool will work. Otherwise if heat and impact driver don't work while the fork is assembled and under spring pressure, drilling the bolt is easiest thing to do. I was surprised at how easy it was, as the nice allen head holds the bit centerered then once the head comes off, the forks come apart and the remainder of the bolt can normally twisted off with finger pressure. Don't loctite! Big mistake on the forks.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.