got the square ring seated
piston fully compressed
and dust boot seated to the piston itself
i cant for the life of me get the last seal in
any tips guys?

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
29 Oct 2013 20:11 #611571 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic front caliper dust boot replacement 81 650csr
Here is what I do. It takes an air compressor. Safety Glasses are a must. With the Square cut main seal o-ring in place, mount the outer dust seal to the caliper also. Lube the seals and the piston with either clean brake fluid or sil-glide. Then with the caliper in a vise, and the air at the ready with a Controllable blow nozzle. Add air in through the bleeder hole, while holding the piston up against the outer edge of the dust seal. The dust seal will then inflate slightly, and you can get it over the piston. Once its over it, then you can put the piston into the caliper. This may take a bit of steady pressure like a C-clamp, slowly push the piston into the caliper bore. once there, be sure your dust seal is correct in both the caliper groove and the piston. Clean and lube the sliding pins that attach the caliper to the bracket also.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
30 Oct 2013 06:17 - 30 Oct 2013 06:20 #611592 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic front caliper dust boot replacement 81 650csr
There is a trick to it, but I couldn't begin to describe how to do it. I don't think the 81 650 manual has anything about it.
I just kinda fiddled with it and eventually figured it out.

KawasakiMotorcycle.org topic - ... DUST cover/seal .... brake calipers?

Reply by GREENISBEST: These can be a little tricky especially if you're short on patience...
Pop the inner piston seal in as you mentioned with a little brake fluid for lubrication.
( I always use Red Rubber Grease see pic below )
Then Pop the outer dust seal into the groove just inside the caliper piston opening again with some Lube.
Now you need to lube up the piston and slip it inside the outer seal and push it down into the caliper.
The problem occurs when you have to lube up the components for assembly which has a side effect of making it difficult to control them whilst trying to wrestle them together :shock:

Bike sounds like she's comming on nice :lol:

Reply by ricksza: Just found an illustration from a KZ1100 manual, I assume that it's the same or very similar. The surface of the piston must be perfectly smooth with no corrosion or dirt build up. The bore of the caliper must be totally clean along with the seal grooves. The well lubed fluid seal & the dust seal must both be installed in the caliper first, then the lubed piston is set on top. Work the top lip of the dust seal around the piston so the piston is being held in place. Make sure that the dust seal didn't pull out of it's groove in the caliper. Slowly push the piston down into the caliper past the dust seal and the fluid seal. Sometimes a slight rocking motion will help to get it started. I usually secure the caliper in a vise and place a slat of wood on top of the piston for more control over the angle of the piston. If the angle is wrong, the piston will jam in the bore because the clearances are very tight. DO NOT FORCE IT. Back it out and try it again. Once the piston is pushed past the seals, the top of the dust seal can be fitted into the piston groove.

Last edit: 30 Oct 2013 06:20 by martin_csr.