Gas Cap wont open.

More
30 Sep 2013 23:59 #608422 by merslinger
Gas Cap wont open. was created by merslinger
I have a 1993 KZ 1000 Police model.I took my gas cap off to paint my tank and while i had it off i sprayed some wd -40 into it. soaked it good while the paint dried. I test the mechanism to see how the oil was doing and it worked fine. Fast forward a week and without checking it again i screwed it back onto the tank and shut the lid. Now i cannot get it to open. The cap also wont shut tight and the key moves back and forth fine. Anyone no what this is or how i can get the cap off now to look at it? Is the rod that the cap hinges on removable? Thanks for any help you can give.

1993 kz1000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
01 Oct 2013 11:25 #608454 by Grumpy Ole Artist
Replied by Grumpy Ole Artist on topic Gas Cap wont open.
The "rod" you mentioned is a "split pin".It is removable...Using a small drift/piece of heavy wire and a hammer, tap GENTLY from both sides...You should see/feel easier movement to one side -vs- the other...this is the direction you should drive the pin. Lotsa little taps instead of bigguns...You don't want to bend the little flanges on the tank. Hopefully, after pin removal, you will be able to wiggle the cap's catch loose from the tank.

1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo

More
01 Oct 2013 15:07 #608470 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Gas Cap wont open.
If you can find a wire coat hanger, the small punch made from a piece, is just the right size to drive out the hinge pin on the gas cap. I'd think, a short section about 2" will do.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
01 Oct 2013 23:13 #608518 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Gas Cap wont open.
Popping the Pet Cock and the sending unit off. You might be able to work from the bottom, inside with a long hook tool. Pry the latch back, which would move with the Key mechanism. You should be able to see in there with a light, and get the latch to move back.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
04 Oct 2013 03:06 #608736 by merslinger
Replied by merslinger on topic Gas Cap wont open.
Thanks everyone i was able to easily knock the hinge pin out. Then when i rotated the cap all the way around i was able to pull it right up. As i said i thought i tested it after i put it back together that was either a complete lie or i have the meanest poltergeist ever. The cap had an internal piece upside down but all is well now thanks for the help.

1993 kz1000