need help new to kz bikes

More
18 Sep 2013 01:16 #606882 by gnutt
need help new to kz bikes was created by gnutt
I have searched on here but not real sure of teh answers i got.
1. I have a 78 kz 1000 frame with a 900motor in it.
2. I want a streched swing arm. can I use a newer bike one that would be longer?
3. I want to upgrade the wheels from a newer bike. Which ones fit?
4. I would like to upgrade the front forks as well from newer bike? Which one?
5. spoon feed me im new. How hard are these thing to do?
I have been a volkswagen man most of my life wrenching on them. Had a couple of bikes but never got into it until now. I want to build a nice street bike but can handle the drag track. thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2013 02:13 #606884 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic need help new to kz bikes
Hi Welcome,

I'll give it to you straight from my point of view.

How fat is your bank account ??

Everything on your list can be done.
NONE of it is dirt cheap.

If you want a good street bike that is quick on the strip ,
Anyone on here will tell you there are much better bikes to buy.
Alot of them just newer Kaws.

Mike

1974 Z1a, still 903

More
18 Sep 2013 02:58 #606887 by gnutt
Replied by gnutt on topic need help new to kz bikes
big into the old bikes

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
18 Sep 2013 07:52 #606898 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic need help new to kz bikes
All of what you want can and has been done. Just keep in mind that when done the bike will be worth more to you than anyone else. My bike has front and rear suspension, wheels, and brakes from a 1995 GSXR 750. It took me about a year to build it in my spare time. I stopped adding receipts when I passed $5K and I haven't built up my hot rod engine yet.

The link to my build thread is in my signature line. There's about 94 pages of documentation there. Some other members with similar projects are OldManRock, mark1122, 531blackbanshee, haybus, boostable, and les holt. Just keep in mind that there are many more of these projects that got started and never finished. Do your research and know what you are getting yourself into before you decide to pull your bike apart.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
18 Sep 2013 08:41 #606901 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic need help new to kz bikes

testarossa wrote: ................ Just keep in mind that there are many more of these projects that got started and never finished. Do your research and know what you are getting yourself into before you decide to pull your bike apart.

+1 !!!! Otherwise you may end up with a non-runner like this (it started out as a really sweet stock KZ650):

Attachment KZ650-C1SuzukiMess2.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
18 Sep 2013 11:40 #606918 by Cynjut
Replied by Cynjut on topic need help new to kz bikes
1. I have a KZ1000M with a KZ1100J motor. If it fits, you're fine. Wiring might be strange, but just follow the lines on the wiring diagrams and you'll probably be fine.

2. How stretched? The frame on the KZ1000 changed in 1980, so there might be some problems getting a swing-arm from a newer bike to link up. The test will be the bearings/bushings. If the sizes are the same (diameter and distance apart) then go for it. After that, you'll need a custom brake brace so you can stop. Note that most of the stretched swing arms for this frame family are actually custom parts and will not come cheap.

3. The wheels on most of the KZ1000s are reasonably interchangeable, just remember to get the brake caliper that goes with your wheel and brake assembly. That was the biggest jam I got into - I bought the wheels and couldn't attach the old calipers with the new wheels on.

4. Don't upgrade to a newer bike's fork, upgrade the springs to new progressive springs, replace the seals, and switch to non "F-type" automatic transmission fluid. Much cheaper and very responsive. Unless you have some aesthetic reason for changing the forks, in which case you are probably looking at something custom. Also, once again, the calipers have to line up with the new forks AND the new wheels. Start mixing and matching here and you could end up with a garage full of pieces that 'almost' fit.

5. I'm opposed to the extended swing-arm. It screws up the handling and makes the bike look like crap. If you want to build a drag bike, build a drag bike. A street bike that handles like a drag bike is unsafe and (to me) aesthetically less appealing.

You have THE bike that people think of when they think classic motorcycles. Doing stupid sh*t like bobbing it, making it a solid rear end, or extending the swing arm to ridiculous limits are all things that make me sad when I see them. Just my opinion, of course. The first round of what you want to do is reasonably simple.

1977 KZ-1000 A1
1982 KZ-1000 M2 Frankenbike

More
23 Sep 2013 12:35 #607437 by russellm
Replied by russellm on topic need help new to kz bikes

Cynjut wrote: 1. I have a KZ1000M with a KZ1100J motor. If it fits, you're fine. Wiring might be strange, but just follow the lines on the wiring diagrams and you'll probably be fine.

2. How stretched? The frame on the KZ1000 changed in 1980, so there might be some problems getting a swing-arm from a newer bike to link up. The test will be the bearings/bushings. If the sizes are the same (diameter and distance apart) then go for it. After that, you'll need a custom brake brace so you can stop. Note that most of the stretched swing arms for this frame family are actually custom parts and will not come cheap.

3. The wheels on most of the KZ1000s are reasonably interchangeable, just remember to get the brake caliper that goes with your wheel and brake assembly. That was the biggest jam I got into - I bought the wheels and couldn't attach the old calipers with the new wheels on.

4. Don't upgrade to a newer bike's fork, upgrade the springs to new progressive springs, replace the seals, and switch to non "F-type" automatic transmission fluid. Much cheaper and very responsive. Unless you have some aesthetic reason for changing the forks, in which case you are probably looking at something custom. Also, once again, the calipers have to line up with the new forks AND the new wheels. Start mixing and matching here and you could end up with a garage full of pieces that 'almost' fit.

5. I'm opposed to the extended swing-arm. It screws up the handling and makes the bike look like crap. If you want to build a drag bike, build a drag bike. A street bike that handles like a drag bike is unsafe and (to me) aesthetically less appealing.

You have THE bike that people think of when they think classic motorcycles. Doing stupid sh*t like bobbing it, making it a solid rear end, or extending the swing arm to ridiculous limits are all things that make me sad when I see them. Just my opinion, of course. The first round of what you want to do is reasonably simple.

I agree with much of what you have stated. I just purchased a '79 kz1000 and my first thought was to modify it similar to the Sanctuary bikes from japan. Now, I am thinking about a cafe racer'ish style look. I just purchased a JMC swing arm which will be powder coated and is roughly the same length as the stock swing arm. I am looking to get Progressive rear shocks as you stated, move the upper shock location a bit back on the frame to increase the rear height a few inches, and up the rear tire to a 160. I am hesitant to mod it out as I love the look of the bike as stock, yet I also like the look of the cafe racer with a modified seat. I would like to change out the front forks for something a bit more 'bulky' as I like that look, so I am researching what works well without too much modification. Anyhow, I just wanted to comment and thank you for your thoughts on what to do and not to do to these sweet KZ's. You got me rethinking my direction again... confusion!!! I think I will need to get another bike and go with both options. Cheers.

rm
Attachments:

More
23 Sep 2013 13:27 #607442 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic need help new to kz bikes
That bike is pretty sweet the way it is Russelm. It is difficult to go back. You can change the arm and use longer shocks to increase ride height. Those are things that are easily undone. There are alot of hacked up bikes out there a guy can mod on and save some dollars. That is what my current project is. Good luck
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

More
23 Sep 2013 14:20 #607448 by russellm
Replied by russellm on topic need help new to kz bikes

kzz1king wrote: That bike is pretty sweet the way it is Russelm. It is difficult to go back. You can change the arm and use longer shocks to increase ride height. Those are things that are easily undone. There are alot of hacked up bikes out there a guy can mod on and save some dollars. That is what my current project is. Good luck
Wayne

Thanks Kzz1king for the comment. I am leaning to keep it as it is, and just change out the swing arm, rear shocks, and if I can find the right fit for the right price, then also the front forks/triple tree. Checked out your threads, your bike looks sweet! Love the old pics as well!
Cheers.

rm