Gauge help

More
05 Sep 2013 11:16 #604988 by Hooker254
Gauge help was created by Hooker254
I am restoring my gauges and the "rubber" that goes around the gauges on the bottom portion has melted to a hard plastic glob. What was it originally? and where can I get it, or how can I make it.
Thanks, James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2013 11:21 #604989 by Hooker254
Replied by Hooker254 on topic Gauge help
Sorry forgot to add that I have a 78 Z1R, hope to hear from anyone.
James

More
05 Sep 2013 11:36 #604994 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Gauge help
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThe dampers are listed as OBSOLETE at Partzilla. I checked oem #92075-1050 on ebbaayy but nothing was listed. A search for Z1R meter damper yielded the item below. I would ask about the condition of the rubber to see if it's pliable &/or flexible. Rubber ages & can get hard. I'm not sure if the dampers are oem or aftermarket - his wording isn't clear.

More
05 Sep 2013 14:21 #605030 by Hooker254
Replied by Hooker254 on topic Gauge help
Hey thanks for the help, very cool. But the rubber or foam piece I am searching for is on the metal rack that holds the gauges. The stuff I picked off was melted like bakelite, I am guessing that is was some type of foam, but looking for some more info from here. Thanks again
James

More
05 Sep 2013 17:22 #605065 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Gauge help
My mistake. Those are the upper dampers (#92075-1049). I guess you need the -1050 dampers? #6 in the diagram drawing?

I poked around the RedlineCycles parts catalogue but didn't see anything. Z1Enterprises.com & Z-Resto are a couple of other places to try. Or JohnnysVintageMotorcycle. If you don't see anything, try contacting some of those places.

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
06 Jan 2014 11:33 - 06 Jan 2014 11:34 #617550 by DOHC
Replied by DOHC on topic Gauge help
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI know exactly what you're talking about. These rubber dampers were only used on the Z1-R. I have no idea what kind of foam that is, but it did not age well. I've seen them sell on Ebay, but always for more money than I'm willing to pay. I believe any NOS items available will be 30+ years old and I'm assuming will just degrade again.

If you do want to find NOS ones, here is a recent auction for the small gauge ring:

I replaced the damper rings on the speedo and tach with rubber weather-sripping from Home Depot. It works quite well. I believe it's this stuff:

Frost King V27WA EPDM Cellular Rubber Weatherstrip

I ran a single strip around the gauge just behind the clamp ring (butting the weather strip end-to-end), with the ribs in the weather strip facing out, and then covered over it with a few rounds of electrical tape to hold it in place. The lowest rib in the weather strip tucks under the lip of the gauge holder bracket and centers and supports the gauge very well.

For the small gauges I used sticky backed foam weather stripping. It didn't come out as nice, but it's not bad.

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
Last edit: 06 Jan 2014 11:34 by DOHC.