I'm trying to remove the cable lock on my gpz1100

More
24 Aug 2013 21:31 #602927 by z19OO
Does anyone know how to get it out of the frame? I searched and searched but couldn't find much info. on it other than is was an acc. from Kawasaki.

1975 z1 900
1979 kz650b

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2013 23:07 #602934 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic I'm trying to remove the cable lock on my gpz1100
This won't be much help, but here's a photo of the thing, which, unfortunately, doesn't show the end that slides into the frame. I think is has sort of a barb on it? I'd probably try to twist it out or something, maybe spray some lube in there if possible.

The following user(s) said Thank You: z19OO

More
25 Aug 2013 08:47 #602964 by z19OO
That's the 1 pic I found too. Looks like on the paperwork it shows the end but can't really see it.

1975 z1 900
1979 kz650b

More
25 Aug 2013 09:53 #602972 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic I'm trying to remove the cable lock on my gpz1100
A while back, I saw a photo of the end that fits into the frame - it was a chromed fitting w a wedge shape... it kinda reminded me of a barb. That's why I suggested twisting or spinning the cable while trying to pull it out, otherwise it seems like the barb will get hung up inside the tubing. If it's been in the frame a long time, corrosion may be the problem. If possible, I'd spray some LiquidWrench penetrating spray lubricant in there & give it time to work.

More
28 Aug 2013 18:04 #603581 by rixtrix

Attachment DSCN0079.JPG not found

Attachment DSCN0038.JPG not found

Hate to be the bearer of bad news ,but it's not coming out. Once it's installed there is really no way to remove it UNLESS you want to chop up your frame a bit or just cut the end off and stuff the remainder into the frame. I had purchased a used 81 and it had the cable in the frame and wanted to swap it to my 82 cuz I lked the idea. Spent days trying to figure out a way to remove it and resorted to cutting a section out. That's the ONLY way to align the the end to fit through the frame opening. As you can see in the photo they are not aligned to begin with-once the wedge fits through the frame and "springs" at an angle it seems it's game over for removing it in one piece.

1982 GPz1100
Attachments:

More
28 Aug 2013 19:00 #603588 by z19OO
Great pics! I'm going to try what martin_csr said with twisting and pulling. Looks like it might be able to come out that way. If not, I'll just have to get over it. LOL Thanks, Mike

1975 z1 900
1979 kz650b

More
28 Aug 2013 20:12 #603594 by gengomerpyle
Replied by gengomerpyle on topic I'm trying to remove the cable lock on my gpz1100
i dont have the cable on my bike but i was wondering what that was for on the frame

rixtrix wrote:

Attachment DSCN0079.JPG not found

Attachment DSCN0038.JPG not found

Hate to be the bearer of bad news ,but it's not coming out. Once it's installed there is really no way to remove it UNLESS you want to chop up your frame a bit or just cut the end off and stuff the remainder into the frame. I had purchased a used 81 and it had the cable in the frame and wanted to swap it to my 82 cuz I lked the idea. Spent days trying to figure out a way to remove it and resorted to cutting a section out. That's the ONLY way to align the the end to fit through the frame opening. As you can see in the photo they are not aligned to begin with-once the wedge fits through the frame and "springs" at an angle it seems it's game over for removing it in one piece.

1982 GPZ750R1 ELR
1978 Honda CB750F SuperSport
1971 Honda CB750K
1970 Honda CL100 Scrambler

More
29 Aug 2013 22:19 #603822 by rixtrix

z19OO wrote: Great pics! I'm going to try what martin_csr said with twisting and pulling. Looks like it might be able to come out that way. If not, I'll just have to get over it. LOL Thanks, Mike

Yeah_I tried that too. Even tried inserting thin shims into the tube to try and guide the wedge into line with the cable,but no luck -hope it works for you! If you look at the pic of the frame cutout you'll see the tube continues into the frame and that's where the issue lies-the end"wedge" on the cable does not stay inline with the cable itself and gets hung up on the inside of the tube no matter which way I spun it ! Let me know if you are able to get it out-very curious as to find a method without cutting up the frame !

1982 GPz1100

More
30 Aug 2013 11:27 #603911 by martin_csr
Great photos. That thing ain't comin' out. I'd probably cut the end off & cap the frame tube.

More
30 Aug 2013 11:55 #603915 by z19OO
I gave it another try last night with no luck.......I'm over it and moving onto the carbs for now.

1975 z1 900
1979 kz650b

More
30 Aug 2013 13:07 #603924 by david-b
Not trying to hi-jack thread, but I have this on my bike and never knew what it was. Started pulling it but was always afraid to keep pulling without knowing. What is this for? Just to lock it up?

/Dave

2013 Chevy Sonic LT 1.4L Turbo
1982 Kawasaki KZ750-H3 LTD
1975 Monte Carlo 400sbc

More
30 Aug 2013 21:24 #604008 by Patton

david-b wrote: Not trying to hi-jack thread, but I have this on my bike and never knew what it was. Started pulling it but was always afraid to keep pulling without knowing. What is this for? Just to lock it up?

Keep pulling.
If lucky, it will pull completely out -- fat chance! :lol:

What is this for? Just to lock it up? Yep. Kawasaki offered this integrated cable as a feature, which was short-lived.

They often got nasty, and rusty.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: