Rear brake from hell - 1978 KZ1000 LTD

More
16 Aug 2013 02:14 #601643 by Erock006
Rear brake from hell - 1978 KZ1000 LTD was created by Erock006
Hey everyone, new to the site but this seems like the place to be with regards to Kawasaki knowledge base....

My problems began when I decided to replace the stock rubber brake lines on my '78 KZ1000 with steel lines (the old ones were beginning to corrode pretty bad). The front brakes went back together no problem - the rear one could not be bled no matter what i tried. I even ended up stripping out the bleeder valve and had to replace the caliper. After doing that I completely tore apart the rear master cylinder to check out the internal parts - everything looked to be in good condition and there didn't appear to be any blockage so blew everything out with compressed air, re-assembled it and bench tested it out, seemed to be pumping fluid so I put it back on the bike. After a long session of tag teaming it with a vacuum bleeder and pumping the brake I got it working...temporarily.

then a week later I had new tires put on, after the rear wheel was taken off the piston would not retract enough to get the wheel back on. I had the tire guy just take the pads out and I rode it home, and then disassembled the rear brake again. I checked out the caliper and it seemed fine, no leaks and piston was moving. So now thinking there was something wrong with the master cylinder I ordered all new internal parts and completely rebuilt the rear master cylinder. Put everything all back together and still unable to get the damn thing bled, tried vacuum bleeding, reverse bleeding, still could not build any compression in the caliper.

Finally I waved the white flag and brought it into a shop that works on older bikes. They were also unsuccessful at getting it working and could not figure out exactly why. The only thing they suggested was that the bore in the master cylinder was possibly slightly too big and the piston was not moving enough fluid to build compression in the caliper (even though it's not leaking any fluid).

Anyway, before I drop another $300 on ordering a whole new master cylinder was wondering if anyone on here had any experience or similar issues/insight with this setup? Or could I possibly replace it with a different braking setup for less $. Any help would be greatly appreciated; I'm about to miss another whole riding season...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
16 Aug 2013 02:36 #601644 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Rear brake from hell - 1978 KZ1000 LTD
Check the hole in bottem of reservoir where fluid returns after you release brake to see if its clogged. ;)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
16 Aug 2013 02:55 #601648 by 74ullc
Replied by 74ullc on topic Rear brake from hell - 1978 KZ1000 LTD
Yup...second that. My friend was having the same issue with his front brake cylinder. Brought it over to my house and we "discovered" the second tiny hole. Looked to be just a small depression. I kept digging at it and it turned into a hole. Put it back together and worked great. Don't some of the newer designs have little reed valves looking things built into the piston to do the job of that little hole?

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F

More
16 Aug 2013 17:13 #601733 by asevans
Replied by asevans on topic Rear brake from hell - 1978 KZ1000 LTD
Yep, yep, small hole in master plugged. Had the same deal on my front mc. It's a little bitty hole. Had to grind a finishing nail to unplugit. Good luck

1976 kz900 Mostly stock
1978 Z1-R Project

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
16 Aug 2013 17:22 #601736 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Rear brake from hell - 1978 KZ1000 LTD
Just bleed mine a month ago on my 78 LTD when I installed the electric pressure sensor banjo bolt and air was harder than usual to get out. Guess I will look for the little hole too... But the stock design is sound. Been hauling my ass down from triple digits for many moons.

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
16 Aug 2013 18:37 #601747 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Rear brake from hell - 1978 KZ1000 LTD
My son read that if you precote the inside of the hoses and everything else before the rebuild air wont stick to it.
He used a syringe to cote everything and we had the front brake with fresh hoses powered up in about 5-10 mins.

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
16 Aug 2013 22:49 #601769 by Erock006
Replied by Erock006 on topic Rear brake from hell - 1978 KZ1000 LTD
Hey everyone, thanks for the thoughts....I've definitely checked the holes on the master cylinder - I've had that thing apart like 5 times now. I'll try to include some pics of the setup - the MC is connected to the piston mechanism so the path for fluid is pretty considerable as compared to the front one...

Attachment PhonePics347.jpg not found

Attachment PhonePics349.jpg not found

I'm almost leaning towards trying to find an alternative braking system - they apparently didn't make this set-up for very long (shocking) and that's why the replacement master cylinders are so bloody expensive. And if I spend that kind of money and it STILL doesn't work I'm gonna have a meltdown. :lol:

Does anyone know if this braking system can be replaced with anything newer? (i.e. 80's models?)
Attachments:

More
16 Aug 2013 23:00 #601772 by elfmagic17
Replied by elfmagic17 on topic Rear brake from hell - 1978 KZ1000 LTD
If you break the hose loose at the master does the caliper return? If so is your push rod too tight? Maybe the cup is too long and covering the release hole. Just some ideas.

Kenny Hicks
74 Honda CB550
75 Honda CB360 (runs and rides good but not a show bike)
77 KZ650B1 (Runs Great, but needs painted and a little work.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erock006

More
16 Aug 2013 23:04 - 16 Aug 2013 23:05 #601773 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic Rear brake from hell - 1978 KZ1000 LTD
Is your new brake line kinking or collapsed on the inside? If the caliper isnt returning pressure isnt bleeding out of the system

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew
Last edit: 16 Aug 2013 23:05 by floivanus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erock006

More
17 Aug 2013 12:14 #601838 by Erock006
Replied by Erock006 on topic Rear brake from hell - 1978 KZ1000 LTD
Haven't tried the caliper return test....maybe I'lll give that a shot before I throw in the towel. I know the push rod is set right and the brake line is fine...the mc moves some fluid through the line but apparently not enough to pressurize the caliper. Difficult to tell where the cup is inside the mc but it's all brand new components in there and unless the mc is machined wrong shouldn't be blocking anything...