bleeding blues

More
03 Aug 2013 23:37 #599753 by asevans
bleeding blues was created by asevans
trying to bleed front dual brakes on my z1r.

Im attempting to use one of those hand vacuum pumps to suck the air out. it works great but i have one problem.

when i pull a vacuum on one caliper and open the bleeder i get lots of air. when i close the bleeder i get nothing. great, just like it should be.

on the other side when i pull a vacuum and open the bleeder i get lots of air. when i close the bleeder i still get air coming out. not a ton like when the bleeder is open, but still air. dont think it leaking from hose to bleeder connection. I dont think the bleeder is closing all the way. the bleeder looks fine. can this be possible? i dont know the internals of a caliper to know what could be going on.

can someone help please?

thanx
Aaron

1976 kz900 Mostly stock
1978 Z1-R Project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
03 Aug 2013 23:43 #599755 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic bleeding blues
Watch out with putting a vacuum into a system designed for Pressure. I would change tactics, bleed reverse is one option. Opening the bleeder and forcing fluid up to the master. A syringe works for this, as well as other low pressure devices. You will see air bubbles going up then out through the fluid return port in the master.
You need to be sure the incoming fluid charge is clean, and free of air.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
03 Aug 2013 23:45 #599756 by asevans
Replied by asevans on topic bleeding blues
ive got a syringe just for this.

heard of people doing both. ill try the up fill and see if that works.

thanks
Aaron

1976 kz900 Mostly stock
1978 Z1-R Project

More
04 Aug 2013 00:13 #599760 by asevans
it seems i need to put so much pressure on the syringe that it will blow the dang hose off the bleeder spraying f#$%Ing brake fluid all over my leg.

got pressure over to the other caliper. and also was able to move caliper with syringe.

both caliper move freely by hand.

would open bleeder on other caliper while applying pressure.

doesnt seem like im getting enough fluid into lines to fill though.

i dont know. maybe im getting somewhere.

Aaron

1976 kz900 Mostly stock
1978 Z1-R Project

• Motor Head
  • User
More
04 Aug 2013 00:19 #599761 by Motor Head
Is your cover off of the reservoir? Can you see fluid returning? There are two holes in the floor of the master. Maybe the return is blocked. Did you rebuild the master?
Be careful, as the brake fluid will eat paint. Cover up, watch the level closely.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

More
04 Aug 2013 02:41 #599782 by asevans
rebuilt with rebuilt kit recommended by others on this site.

cap is off.

i did notice on the top of master where the reservoir connects, the two small holes. one hole went all the way through to the inside. the other looked like it didnt. i looked inside the master and could not see where the other hole went through. i stuck a small nail and wire down into it and i swear it didnt go all the way through.maybe i just couldnt tell. i thought that was kind of strange. ill check that out again.

the two holes going to the bango's are fine and clear.

when i pump up the lever, the right caliper bleeds fine. Meaning i get pretty good flow of fluid coming out each time.

when i do the left caliper i get nothing on the bleed. i slightly loosened the banjo up on the master and got pressure. I feel like the hose is plugged.

what a pain.

thanks for the help though.

1976 kz900 Mostly stock
1978 Z1-R Project

More
04 Aug 2013 09:12 #599795 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic bleeding blues
You could also try bleeding the brakes at the banjo bolts if needed.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

• Motor Head
  • User
More
04 Aug 2013 09:43 - 04 Aug 2013 10:14 #599799 by Motor Head
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationIf those are the original hoses from way back when the bike was new, I'd replace them. Go Stainless, it will give you a much firmer feel on your lever as well as being a lot stronger. I put a kit on mine, and it made quite a firmer lever.
Here is one kit;

Last edit: 04 Aug 2013 10:14 by Motor Head.

More
04 Aug 2013 10:28 - 04 Aug 2013 10:34 #599804 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic bleeding blues

asevans wrote: rebuilt with rebuilt kit recommended by others on this site.

cap is off.

i did notice on the top of master where the reservoir connects, the two small holes. one hole went all the way through to the inside. the other looked like it didnt. i looked inside the master and could not see where the other hole went through. i stuck a small nail and wire down into it and i swear it didnt go all the way through.maybe i just couldnt tell. i thought that was kind of strange. ill check that out again.

the two holes going to the bango's are fine and clear.

when i pump up the lever, the right caliper bleeds fine. Meaning i get pretty good flow of fluid coming out each time.

when i do the left caliper i get nothing on the bleed. i slightly loosened the banjo up on the master and got pressure. I feel like the hose is plugged.

what a pain.

thanks for the help though.

right caliper bleeds fine -- indicates the master cylinder is okay.

Perhaps the left caliper bleeder screw is malfunctioning by failing to open when loosened. Which could also explain being unable to inject fluid through the bleeder with the syringe.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 04 Aug 2013 10:34 by Patton.

More
04 Aug 2013 10:32 - 04 Aug 2013 10:33 #599805 by Patton

asevans wrote: ... the two holes going to the bango's are fine and clear....

Which "two holes" into which banjo(s)? :huh:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 04 Aug 2013 10:33 by Patton.

More
04 Aug 2013 10:56 #599807 by Patton

asevans wrote: ... did notice on the top of master where the reservoir connects, the two small holes. one hole went all the way through to the inside. the other looked like it didnt. i looked inside the master and could not see where the other hole went through. i stuck a small nail and wire down into it and i swear it didnt go all the way through.maybe i just couldnt tell. i thought that was kind of strange. ill check that out again....

There are two holes through the master cylinder floor into the bore where the piston moves back and forth.

The larger hole is the supply port whereby fluid is furnished into the bore for the piston to push into the brake line.

The tiny smaller hole is the relief port which allows reverse flow of fluid to release pressure in the line when the brake lever is relaxed.

Depending on position of the piston within the bore, the piston may prevent passing a wire through either port into the bore.

With the master cylinder disassembled and piston removed from the bore, should be able to pass a small enough wire through each port into the bore.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
07 Aug 2013 16:19 #600303 by asevans
Alright, got my new brake hoses. Starting the bleeding process again.

Here is what I got.

I have been bleeding air out for at least an hour straight. The right caliper just seems to have an endless amount of air in it. Could the caliper need to be rebuilt? Never done one.

I just can't seem to get the fluid to pump up very high. Sometimes I get several good sized air bubbles, then the next pump and bleed Iget no pressure at all.

I just feel like something is wrong. On the other side i seem to have all the air out. Just fluid pumping out but I can't get it pump up past a couple inches from the bleed nipple.

I know there is a o-ring in the caliper. Could that be letting air in?

Thanks
Aaron

1976 kz900 Mostly stock
1978 Z1-R Project