car rear tire for KZ1000ST

More
31 Jul 2013 17:37 #599266 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic car rear tire for KZ1000ST
i have personally been in a side car while it was being held up off the ground by the rider.
i was little(7/8 years old) and it was fun.

i have since turned down several sidecar rides because of that first one. :laugh:

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2013 18:23 #599279 by motomensch
Replied by motomensch on topic car rear tire for KZ1000ST
The reality of turning and flying the car is it will come up off the ground on a right hand turn or if you turn the bars right while going too fast. On left handers the rear wheel will lighten up losing any traction you might have had.Pictures of a 2001 Dnepr and the Ukrainian tires it came with.
MotoMel

When you stop laughing, the joke's on you!
Attachments:

More
31 Jul 2013 19:32 #599295 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic car rear tire for KZ1000ST
I know nothing about motorcycles w sidecars, but I would make darn sure the brackets are up to the job... strong enough, not old or embrittled, new hardened bolts, that sort of thing. Somewhere in the archives, someone reported that their sidecar bracketing broke while they were making a pitstop. I shudder to think what would've happened at speed.

More
31 Jul 2013 19:41 #599298 by motomensch
Thanks for the concern, this is not my first rig and I have been driving it for a while now, good mounting and alignment. Just looking for tire that lasts a long time.

More
31 Jul 2013 23:51 #599355 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic car rear tire for KZ1000ST
Many guys run car tires on high mile Goldwings and even FJR1300 sport tourers and love the mileage and claim they work even on 2 wheels. I don't care to try, but the wheel on a goldwing is 6" wide I believe and it would be hard to find a car tire to fit the KZ1000ST wheel, which may be 3" wide, but more likely a 2.5"
However, the car tire mounted on a real narrow rim would crown and basically become a motorcycle tire in reality, so it may not be all bad. :)

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
03 Aug 2013 13:34 #599697 by KZ-Izzo
Replied by KZ-Izzo on topic car rear tire for KZ1000ST
seems like a lot of work why not just do a swing arm swap and run a newer style tire they are much wider than the original tires.

Live Fast
1980 KZ1000 b4 ltd

More
03 Aug 2013 17:39 #599721 by motomensch
what swing arm do you suggest swapping, and cost?

More
04 Aug 2013 02:04 #599776 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic car rear tire for KZ1000ST

650ed wrote:

531blackbanshee wrote: it is very common to use car tires with sidehacks.
they do not lean either direction(unless it is a leaning sidecar)so they can get away with running car tires.
leon

That is only true is sissy types. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: When I worked in D.C. I saw D.C. cops lean their sidecar bikes WAY over on the left hand turns every day on Rock Creek Parkway. But I suspect if you're gonna be a cop in our nation's capital you better come equipped with industrial strength balls. :laugh: :laugh: Here's a pic of a D.C. cop with a mild lean; I wish I had pics of some of those guys that were really flying high; they were so used to doing it they thought nothing of it. :) Ed

Attachment 00000_2013-07-31-3.jpg not found

Looks fun. I think that guy is on a right hand turn.

You can actually lift it on either a right or left turn. At my work, we used to have workman trikes to get around the plant. It felt very safe and natural to lift the 3rd wheel in either direction. If the 3rd wheel is on the inside of the turn, it comes up naturally, and sometimes you don't even know it's off the ground. If the 3rd wheel is on the outside of the turn, you make a small, quick turn in the opposite turn direction to get the wheel off the ground, then you lean it like a normal two-wheel vehicle, but it requires more effort.