Sprocket won't fit rear hub

More
25 Jul 2013 02:34 #598169 by 3cav84a
Sprocket won't fit rear hub was created by 3cav84a
G'day, I ordered a set of sprockets and a chain for my KZ750B twin and when they arrived I thought great today is the day I finally get to do the job. To my surprise the rear sprocket won't fit. The centre hole in the sprocket on my old one is 63-64mm and the center to center distance of the diagonally opposed bolt holes is 90mm. Ever since I had a new tyre put on the rim I have had a funny feeling that the whole rear hub/tyre set up is not original. I will take some photos later on today to put up here to see if anyone knows what sort of setup is on this bike.
Any ideas what this rear sprocket belongs to. It is 63.5mm hub 90mm bolt centre to bolt centre 38Teeth for a 530 chain, regards Neil

1977 KZ 1000 A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2013 10:11 #598190 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Sprocket won't fit rear hub
Photos might help.

More
25 Jul 2013 14:59 #598212 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Sprocket won't fit rear hub
Stock would be an 80mm center hole, 6-bolt holes and 104mm center-to-center on opposing bolt holes.

How many bolt holes on your old ones?

Drum or disk on the back?

I looked up our references and there's nothing with the dimensions you mentioned - check the dimensions again. Also look for any markings on the sprocket. Most aftermarket sprocket suppliers stamp the sprocket series number and tooth count on each sprocket.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
25 Jul 2013 22:50 #598293 by 3cav84a
Replied by 3cav84a on topic Sprocket won't fit rear hub
G'day, so I took some photos of the strange rear wheel on this 1980 KZ750 twin. The hub has the two smallish sealed bearings fitted to the outer extremities of the hub, they look like rather small bearings for a 750 hub. the only thing I can find on the actual rim is a T and a M above it and somewhere else A199 in small numbers. The tyre fitted to the rim is a Battleaxe 130/90 - 16 m/c

Attachment IMG_0622.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_0624.JPG not found

1977 KZ 1000 A1
Attachments:

More
25 Jul 2013 22:55 #598294 by 3cav84a
Here are a couple more pictures, I re measured the hub again and it is 64mm which converts to 2.5 inches and the center to center hole is 90mm. The sprocket is a 37 Tooth alloy/aluminium the only markings being 37 stamped into it.

1977 KZ 1000 A1
Attachments:

More
25 Jul 2013 23:04 #598296 by Jeff.Saunders
That looks like a Morris Mag wheel.

2.5" center (63.5mm), 3.5" (89mm) center to center. Search for a PBI sprocket for the morris mag wheel.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,
The following user(s) said Thank You: 3cav84a

More
25 Jul 2013 23:52 #598304 by Dr. Gamma
Replied by Dr. Gamma on topic Sprocket won't fit rear hub
Its definitely a Morris Mag. The sprocket also has what they called a "cush drive" setup. Save those nylon spacers, and the inner collars. I don't think you will get they when you order a replacement sprocket.

Back in the day you could order your Morris Mag with non-cush drive, or with cush-drive sprockets. Make sure they know you need the cush-drive rear sprockets. I would like to find a spare set of those cush-drive nylon spacers and collars for my Morris Mag.

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 3cav84a

More
26 Jul 2013 03:38 #598333 by 3cav84a
Jeez this forum is great, thanks fellas I had never heard of a Morris mag wheel I will do a search of what is available here in Australia but I have a funny feeling I might have to either get one from the USA or get one made up. I'm definitely not going to get one made of the same material as the old one, 7500 miles and it's shagged one tooth missing and the others horribly worn, I don't think the PO was really keen on lubing the setup. Thanks once again, regards Neil

1977 KZ 1000 A1

More
26 Jul 2013 09:06 #598345 by Jeff.Saunders
Morris Mags are one of the more desirable wheels from that period. There are road and race versions. The race versions are made of mag alloy and are VERY light - you can pick the wheels up with your little finger... Those are worth good money if in perfect condition. The street version was cast aluminum and much heavier.

The wheels themselves are interchangeable across bikes as different adapter plates for the brake and axle bolt to the hub of the wheel.

Aluminum rear sprocket is probably all you are going to find - and yes, it's likely you'll need to order from the USA to get these. PBI is one brand that still makes sprockets for the wheel.

You might also consider selling the wheels and buying KZ750 wheels - you will likely make some good money with those Morris Mags.

www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
26 Jul 2013 09:32 #598349 by ed spangler
Replied by ed spangler on topic Sprocket won't fit rear hub

3cav84a wrote: G'day, I ordered a set of sprockets and a chain for my KZ750B twin and when they arrived I thought great today is the day I finally get to do the job. To my surprise the rear sprocket won't fit. The centre hole in the sprocket on my old one is 63-64mm and the center to center distance of the diagonally opposed bolt holes is 90mm. Ever since I had a new tyre put on the rim I have had a funny feeling that the whole rear hub/tyre set up is not original. I will take some photos later on today to put up here to see if anyone knows what sort of setup is on this bike.
Any ideas what this rear sprocket belongs to. It is 63.5mm hub 90mm bolt centre to bolt centre 38Teeth for a 530 chain, regards Neil

Neil
Sent you a PM, let me know if it helps!?
TennesseeZ ED

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

More
26 Jul 2013 09:33 #598350 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Sprocket won't fit rear hub

Jeff.Saunders wrote: Morris Mags are one of the more desirable wheels from that period. There are road and race versions. The race versions are made of mag alloy and are VERY light - you can pick the wheels up with your little finger... Those are worth good money if in perfect condition. .......

Was there a problem with the race versions cracking when they got old? I though I read someplace that the magnesium alloy didn't hold up over many years of use, but I could be thinking of some other wheel manufacturer. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
26 Jul 2013 09:42 #598354 by Jeff.Saunders

650ed wrote:

Jeff.Saunders wrote: Morris Mags are one of the more desirable wheels from that period. There are road and race versions. The race versions are made of mag alloy and are VERY light - you can pick the wheels up with your little finger... Those are worth good money if in perfect condition. .......

Was there a problem with the race versions cracking when they got old? I though I read someplace that the magnesium alloy didn't hold up over many years of use, but I could be thinking of some other wheel manufacturer. Ed

With true Mag Alloy wheels, I don't think it's so much getting old as hitting bumps and pot-holes. I cracked an SMAC front wheel a few years ago hitting a curb - two of the six spokes had cracks all the way through... I was VERY lucky the wheel didn't collapse on me. They should not be used on the street - but many of us did...

www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,