Brake help pleez

• danger_bandito
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live fat, die young!
More
20 Jul 2013 21:39 #597501 by danger_bandito
Brake help pleez was created by danger_bandito
Just replaced my master cylender with a brand new one. Still have the old lines and caliper on the bike.
As much as I pump the lever for bleeding, there is no build-up of pressure at all. I am sending fluid through to the bleed nipple, so the lines aren't clogged, but as long as I squeeze, there is no pressure at all.

Caliper rebuild time?

-81 440ltd-a2- by the way. But brakes is brakes.

As always, all help and advice is appreciated in advance!

As much as I agree with the term "YOLO," I equally hate it.
1981 KZ440LTD-A2 - "Calamity"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
21 Jul 2013 01:00 #597519 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Brake help pleez
Bike brakes can be a bit more difficult to bleed, master higher than slave/ caliper. Air tends to trap up high of course. Some reverse fill the system, with a syringe or other pressure from the bottom up. Inject clean air free brake fluid into the caliper bleeder, and watch the air come out the return port in the master. Of course you have to be extra careful not to overfill the reservoir and get brake fluid on your paint. It will eat paint.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
The following user(s) said Thank You: danger_bandito

More
21 Jul 2013 11:16 #597540 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Brake help pleez
Did you hook up a proper bleeding apparatus at the caliper & follow a brake bleeding procedure?
Or are you just adding fluid to the reservoir & pumping?

I refilled from the bottom using clear tubing & a funnel. I installed new lines & left the end at the mc disconnected, then added fluid at the funnel. When brake fluid emerged from the open end, I connected the line to the mc & added a little more at the funnel, closed the bleeder, then added fluid directly to the mc reservoir to fill.

• danger_bandito
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live fat, die young!
More
21 Jul 2013 12:48 #597553 by danger_bandito
Replied by danger_bandito on topic Brake help pleez
Apparatus ahoy! I did use the fancy technique described as in my manual. (Clymers) But had no idea I could do this from the bottom-up. I guess I'll drain the system and buy a syringe of some sort to force the fluid against gravity.

I like the funnel method, but it seems too messy a task for my parking lot. (What with plenty of neighbors' cars abound)

More
21 Jul 2013 13:15 #597557 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Brake help pleez

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• danger_bandito
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live fat, die young!
More
21 Jul 2013 18:13 #597583 by danger_bandito
You're the man, patton.

• danger_bandito
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live fat, die young!
More
21 Jul 2013 19:18 #597590 by danger_bandito
Problem resolved!

I decided to give it one last try before having to take a trip to Walmart. (It's Sunday and everyone else is closed)

With the fluid still in the system from last night, I tapped on every line, linkage, and bolt with a plastic screwdriver from the caliper up to the MC. I squeezed the lever about 20 times before tapping it again. I came back to the MC, and squeezed the lever, this time releasing quickly and letting it snap back, about 4 or 5 more times before I started to feel pressure building up.

My breaks are now bled, and the new MC gives is quite the crisp feel while doing a manual rolling stop. I can't wait to get it running to see how much more of an improvement this has made.

Thanks for your help and ideas, everyone!