The Great (Rear) Shock Debate - '83 kz1100A3

More
16 Jul 2013 14:51 #596767 by gravit8
After digging around a bit I'm still not sure what the best replacement is for the original air-adjusted rear shocks on my '83 A3 shafty. They held out for nearly 30 years before finally pissing oil all over the driveway last November, right before I put the bike into storage.

So the decision tree of questions is thus:

Rebuild originals? If yes--> where to find proper parts. If No --> best replacement parts, in descending order by price and probably overall performance.

I've read every damn page of the owners manual and been unable to locate specs on the rear shocks of any kind, not size, travel lengths, or mounting specs, etc. I still ride the bike daily (after a recent forced upgrade to Dyna coils, eh-heh) and am getting bored of standing up any time I see large bumps in the road. Given that I live in Iowa, and the roads are crap, I find I'm standing quite often.

I'm willing to make minor sacrifices in overall performance for the sake of cost, so the Ohlins checking in at ~$850 thus far represent the high end for me. I don't often carry passengers, and I'm not tracking it but I do enjoy the twisty bits and can handle a stiffer ride overall on the long highway trips I take.

Now I bow to your collective wisdom and debate on the topic. Last year I profiled my purchase of tires (based off the advice of you guys) so I hope you take me seriously in this new conversation. ;D

I honestly don't know how fast I was going, officer; My speedo tops out at 85...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2013 15:16 - 16 Jul 2013 15:17 #596775 by upncummr
Replied by upncummr on topic The Great (Rear) Shock Debate - '83 kz1100A3
I was recently referred to Dave Quinn Motorcycles and the Hagon products he carries by 650ed. I'm quite happy with both (although I should note I only have about 100 miles on the new shock/spring assemblies). The Hagon components were replacements for the factory components on my '83 KZ 750 LTD shaft drive.
Last edit: 16 Jul 2013 15:17 by upncummr.

More
16 Jul 2013 17:28 #596800 by daveo
I have a used original set available, that don't leak. They work good and look nice too. Can post a pic if interested.
;)

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
16 Jul 2013 18:39 #596815 by steell
Check with Progressive Suspension, they make and sell air shocks for twin shock bikes, and a whole lot of other bikes.

KD9JUR