rear wheel freezing on final drive

More
03 Jul 2013 22:51 #594975 by markthink
rear wheel freezing on final drive was created by markthink
There are many hours that have gone into my '83 KZ1100LTD since I got it back as a pile of parts from a very, very naughty shop who was hired to swap shift forks (no, I didn't whack the forks). Many wouldn't believe what they took apart, which is a story for another day.

So, in the final stretch of restoration, readying for a first run tomorrow, all together...I am putting the rear wheel back on. Headed up to the FSM 101 ft-lbs torque in the rear axle nut, with a piece of heavy PVC extending the bar side to fix it in place and working up on the nut, I hear a "click" or "clack" kind of like something adjusted in the holding rod or pipe alignment.

Well, the 101 ft-lbs comes to bear and lo and behold, the wheel hub is TOUCHING the final drive. There is no motion.

My thinking is this: I have collapsed something in that final drive. I think this because when I look at the wheel assembly (including bearings, spacer, brake, and swing arm everything is 100% contact. The only place I see it isn't (again FSM) is the final drive.

I am sure glad this didn't happen on the road. Need advice. Is the FSM 101 ft-lbs overrated, like 87 would do? Any ideas what may have "popped?" FSM shows a snap ring, paired oil seals, etc.

Anyone else had this happen?

Wildly, would the final drive off a 2001 Mean Streak fit? Got one in the garage and it looks oh-so-close. The axle bolt matches diameter and thread but is longer for that wider swing arm. Thinking I just might check the measurements and splines tomorrow.

'83 KZ1100-A3 Shaft, Vetters

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2013 23:44 #594989 by steell
Replied by steell on topic rear wheel freezing on final drive
You can go to kawasaki.com and look at the expanded parts diagrams. It will make your life a lot easier if you remember that. There's a tutorial around here somewhere telling you how to access them.

Meantime I'm going to post a pic from there, and hope it helps.

Rear drive:

KD9JUR
The following user(s) said Thank You: markthink

More
06 Jul 2013 21:26 - 06 Jul 2013 21:27 #595326 by crh
Replied by crh on topic rear wheel freezing on final drive
Wow :ohmy: ....and it doesn't get any easier than a shaft drive bike :unsure: See if you're missing a wheel spacer on the right side of the axle. If you are and you've tightened the axle nut as much as you say you have, you may have done damage.......
Last edit: 06 Jul 2013 21:27 by crh.

More
07 Jul 2013 22:11 #595452 by markthink
Replied by markthink on topic rear wheel freezing on final drive
I stand humbled. Nothing broken or cracked, specs checked, bearings/gears/cases/swingarm are sound. I was missing a singular piece. :silly:

What I did was "misplace" (thanks to a mini-nephew) then forget (all me) the 85mm spacer between between the final drive and wheel. This results in approximately 2 mm flex and the wheel touching the final drive. When relaxed and properly reassembled, no stress in positioning or fit.

Note to self: got lucky this time. Memorize the FSM.

'83 KZ1100-A3 Shaft, Vetters

More
07 Jul 2013 23:58 #595480 by steell
Replied by steell on topic rear wheel freezing on final drive
Good that you found and fixed it!

Bet you don't do that again :P

KD9JUR