aligning fornt fork

More
29 Jun 2013 23:01 #594381 by gravyl17
aligning fornt fork was created by gravyl17
I am wanting to put some shock boots on my 1978 KZ 650. after taking the wheel fender and brakes off the fork. sliding the forks out one at a time and installing the boots. What is the best way to align the disc brakes and wheel again after im done????????????
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2013 23:46 #594389 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic aligning fornt fork
The disks will be bolted to your wheel before installing it in the forks, and they can only go on one way, so they are not an issue.

Since you had both forks legs off the bike you may want to try this approach: With the front of the bike elevated, install both fork legs into the upper and lower fork clamps and align them so they are at the correct height (top of fork tubes even with top of upper fork clamps)and turned so the axle holes look like they are aligned, but don't tighten the fork clamps yet. Install the front axle according to the instructions in the FSM. If the axle holes in the bottom of the forks were not perfectly aligned, properly tightening the front axle clamp nuts should turn the fork tubes enough so that they are in the correct position relative to the axle (because the fork clamps are loose). At that point ensure that the top of the fork tubes are still even with the top of the upper fork clamps then tighten the fork clamps using the torque specs in the manual. Then you should be able to remove the axle, install it in the front wheel, and install the wheel/disk/axle assembly. Be SURE to use the instructions in the manual regarding proper tightening sequence and torque on the axle holder clamps or you could set up a dangerous situation. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: gravyl17

More
30 Jun 2013 00:12 #594396 by gravyl17
Replied by gravyl17 on topic aligning fornt fork
thanks for the info its greatly appreciated......... I was thinking of doing it the way you described but needed to hear it from someone else to reassure me I was on right track... but also I have disc brake calipers on both sides...... do you think these will line up easily also after the process you described or will I have to fine tune the brake calipers someway to line up properly with the rotors??????? What do you think??????? All insight is always appreciated

More
30 Jun 2013 01:37 - 30 Jun 2013 01:37 #594412 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic aligning fornt fork
The disks and rotors will line up fine when you mount them. I've had mine (dual disk KZ650-C1) off many times in the past 36 years when changing tires, etc. - never had any alignment problems with brake components. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 30 Jun 2013 01:37 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gravyl17

More
30 Jun 2013 16:48 #594498 by gravyl17
Replied by gravyl17 on topic aligning fornt fork
Ya , installed the boots and they look good and the job went well the hardest part was putting the speedo back together but this took five minutes of monkey business. Thanks