Neck Question

• Ogcoda
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Killing Everything
More
24 Jun 2013 14:13 #593726 by Ogcoda
Neck Question was created by Ogcoda
My bike is riding super wired and i have to fight to keep it in a straight line. I have talked to a few other dudes about it and they said it sounds like my neck bearings are way to tight. Witch makes sense because I tightened the holy hell out of the little notched out neck stem nut. but the forks still moved freely so i thought it was ok. Upon further reading on forums i found your supposed to just tighten them "hand tight" So my question is, Is there supposed to be 2 of the thin notched out lock nuts on my neck stem, to lock each other from backing off? This is for a 78 kz1000c

1978 kz1000 Bobber
2006 MazdaSpeed6

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2013 16:20 #593736 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Neck Question
The forums you read are way wrong about making the steering stem locknut "hand tight." Take a look in your FSM and you will see the torque spec for the steering stem locknut. That is the piece that determines how tight the steering stem bearings are. On my KZ650 the torque spec is 19.5 - 24 foot pounds - way more than hand tight.

There is only 1 steering stem locknut (the one with notches). After it has been properly torqued (the manual gives an alternative method without using a torque wrench - take a look) you tighten the steering stem head bolt and clamp bolt. You do not need a second locknut.

Having said that, I would recommend you replace the steering stem bearings with tapered roller bearings. They are WAY better than the original loose ball bearing that came stock and will eliminate any notchiness in the steering.

If you don't have a Kawasaki Service Manual (FSM) you really need to get one; no KZ owner should be without one as they are worth their weight in gold. Just be sure to get one for your exact year & model bike. You may be able to find an electronic version in the mean time; I think someone on here had a link to one. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ogcoda

• Ogcoda
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Killing Everything
More
24 Jun 2013 19:24 #593754 by Ogcoda
Replied by Ogcoda on topic Neck Question
Well, i have replaced the neck bearings with tapered bearings. I just don't know how i'd get a torque reading off the notched nut... i'll look into it a little better and let you know how it turns out.

1978 kz1000 Bobber
2006 MazdaSpeed6

More
24 Jun 2013 19:45 #593759 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Neck Question
Either large Kaw four manual should provide info and pictures:

www.kzrider.com/filebase/doc_download/43...asaki-service-manual

www.kawiworld.com/index.php?option=com_c...icle&id=77&Itemid=99

The idea is to have the steering stem bearings tightened enough to eliminate any slop in the fitment.

With front wheel suspended, may grasp axle caps and pull and push the front wheel back and forth to detect any slop. May hear a slight clunk from the bearings, which indicates excessive looseness and need for further tightening.

The manual refers to stock ball bearing design, which I believe would also apply to aftermarket tapered roller bearing.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
24 Jun 2013 20:25 #593767 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic Neck Question
What year are these for? Don't want to download what I don't need. I have a Z1 and a76 KZ book but would like something for 77-78. Thanks
Wayne

Patton wrote: Either large Kaw four manual should provide info and pictures:

www.kzrider.com/filebase/doc_download/43...asaki-service-manual

www.kawiworld.com/index.php?option=com_c...icle&id=77&Itemid=99

The idea is to have the steering stem bearings tightened enough to eliminate any slop in the fitment.

With front wheel suspended, may grasp axle caps and pull and push the front wheel back and forth to detect any slop. May hear a slight clunk from the bearings, which indicates excessive looseness and need for further tightening.

The manual refers to stock ball bearing design, which I believe would also apply to aftermarket tapered roller bearing.

Good Fortune! :)

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

More
24 Jun 2013 21:36 #593781 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Neck Question

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: