Rear Suspension Question - 1983 KZ 750 LTD - Omaha

More
01 Jul 2013 15:02 - 01 Jul 2013 15:25 #594609 by upncummr
I contacted Dave Quinn as suggested re: Hagon shocks. His reference materials list a 320mm and a 350mm part for the KZ 750 LTD. The service technician at my local shop has measured the assembly as 330mm when measured center to center on the center stand.

Dave's suggestion was to go with what's on the bike even though it's not listed in the parts catalog. (Dave also said the 330mm assembly was listed as one of the options for a KZ 650.)

I'm 99.9% certain that the shock/spring assemblies on the bike are the stock factory units; so I'm tempted to go with the 330mm units.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Gary
Last edit: 01 Jul 2013 15:25 by upncummr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2013 14:02 #596301 by upncummr
I went ahead and ordered the 330mm Hagon shocks from Dave Quinn Motorcycles. They shipped on the Tuesday afternoon before the 4th of July and arrived on Monday the 8th.

The shop technician started the install and discovered that the shocks shipped with bushings with a 10mm inside diameter. The old bushings were 14mnm inside diameter. I contacted Dave via email and Maggie contacted me shortly thereafter to tell me they were shipping the 14mm bushings. They were going to add a note to their installation database that the '83 KZ 750 LTD F1 shaft drive model takes 14mm bushings.

The bushings arrived a couple of days later and the shocks/springs have been installed.

It's a day and night difference between the old assemblies and the new assemblies. When putting weight on the rear of the bike and pushing downwards you could hear air squish out around the internal seals. There was essentially no damping effect. With the new assemblies there's just a bit of compression when pressing down on the rear of the bike. The rear of the bike is calm and composed when underway.

The build/finish quality of the Hagon shock/spring assemblies appears to be very good. The style is a good match for the bike. All in all, I'm happy with the Hagon products and I'm very satisfied with Dave Quinn Motorcycles.

More
13 Jul 2013 14:19 #596303 by 650ed
I'm glad your experience was as good as mine. I found Dave Quinn very helpful & easy to work with, and the Hagon shocks look and perform great. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
13 Jul 2013 14:22 #596304 by upncummr
650ed:

I really appreciate that you referred me to Dave. His experience and customer service helped to compensate for my lack of experience with motorcycles.

Thanks!