Rear Suspension Question - 1983 KZ 750 LTD - Omaha

More
10 Jun 2013 11:47 #591578 by upncummr
I have a 1983 KZ 750 LTD that I bought last fall. I have limited experience with motorcycles and none with a UJM like the KZ 750 LTD (my other motorcycle is a Ninja 250R) so it's hard for me to tell what's "normal" and what's "not normal" for the bike.

The rear suspension is fairly squishy. If I push down on the tail section it compresses relatively easily and rebounds without any bouncing. If I do the same thing on my Ninja 250R the tail section doesn't even compress. So there's a night and day difference between the two bikes.

The rear suspension of the KZ 750 LTD is set on 4 which is the firmest setting, but it sure doesn't seem very firm.

So my primary question is what's normal for this bike and what should I expect?

My secondary question is what part(s) are likely to need replacing and whether the stock parts are still available and if so are they desirable?

Based upon the info available in this thread it sounds like the stock components were not very good. kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/570782-rear-...advise-needed#570785

Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2013 13:05 #591589 by upncummr
According to the parts diagram on Kawasaki.com the rear shock for an '83 shaft drive KZ 750 LTD (part number 45014-1203) is cancelled or no longer available. Unless that's been superseded by another factory part I guess that only leaves the aftermarket.

Gary

More
10 Jun 2013 13:37 #591596 by baldy110
First off, you are comparing the older suspension to a modern suspension. They are going to be completely different. The Ninja suspension is tuned for a sport bike and the older KZ is not. The older KZ is going to be softer just due to it's age and possible worn out. Ride it and se if you like it, if you don't like it there are numerous options in aftermarket shocks for it.

More
10 Jun 2013 13:43 - 10 Jun 2013 13:44 #591597 by Dr. Gamma
The very first thing you throw away on any Japanese motorcycle are the stock rear shocks!!!

Stock shocks would be better used as pogo sticks, than on a motorcycle!!

They have been getting better over the years, but still are nowhere near what a good pair of
aftermarket shocks will do for your bike.

Progessive makes a nice shock for the money, and you can select different weight springs to cover
all different weight riders.

Plus they are cheaper than buying another set of non-working OEM shocks from Kawasaki.

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Last edit: 10 Jun 2013 13:44 by Dr. Gamma. Reason: badd grammer

More
10 Jun 2013 13:52 - 10 Jun 2013 13:53 #591599 by 650ed
If your bike still has the original shocks they have been shot for at least 28 years. The original shocks were arguably the weakest component on any KZ. I have been using Hagons for years and they work great! If you contact Dave Quinn at the link below he will set up a pair to match you bike, your weight, your riding style, etc. Mine are like #4 in the bottom picture in the link.

davequinnmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/webc.cg...GON_TWIN_SHOCKS.html

Here's a picture of mine:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Jun 2013 13:53 by 650ed.

More
10 Jun 2013 13:52 #591600 by upncummr
baldy110:

Thanks for the reply.

In comparing the KZ 750 and Ninja rear suspensions I wasn't suggesting that they should be or would be similar. But I was surprised by just how different they were.

I've ridden the KZ 750 maybe 300 or 400 miles since I bought it. It is well-behaved but then again I've typically ridden it on fairly smooth roads. The front suspension dives a bit under hard braking (but I'd say that's to be expected). I've never had the rear of the bike bottom-out and I don't feel like the rear wheel is hopping around at all.

I do get the sense that there is some shaft-jacking in the rear when coming off the throttle or getting back in the throttle during cornering at high RPMs.

Never having ridden a vintage motorcycle it's hard for me to know what's normal and what to look for.

Gary

More
10 Jun 2013 13:54 #591601 by upncummr
Dr. Gamma:

Thanks for the reply.

Gary

More
10 Jun 2013 13:55 - 10 Jun 2013 13:57 #591602 by upncummr
650ed:

Thanks for the information and the photo. I saw this posted in another thread and checked out Dave Quinn's web site. I've saved it to My Favorites for future reference.

By the way, that's a great looking bike.

Gary
Last edit: 10 Jun 2013 13:57 by upncummr.

More
10 Jun 2013 14:37 #591625 by martin_csr
This probably doesn't matter, but just in case you aren't aware.... The shocks may have a damper adjustment & a spring adjustment. The damper is the numbered dial at the top - turn by hand to adjust The spring adjustment requires the use of a tool. You're supposed to match the damper number to the spring rate. On my 81 650 I have to use a screwdriver bit from the factory tool kit to adjust the springs - I don't have anything else that fits the adjusting hole.

More
10 Jun 2013 14:57 #591628 by upncummr
Martin:

Thanks for the reply.

When we were working on the bike last fall we adjusted the damper setting at the top of the shock assembly to the 4 position. We also used a long hex key to adjust the perch setting at the bottom of the spring. We set it at the lowest step. To our way of thinking that pushed the "collar" upwards and compressed the spring giving it maximum preload and the firmest set up.

Putting it on the highest step would have lowered the "collar" and extended the spring giving it more suspension travel and the softest ride.

Hopefully we did that correctly.

Gary

More
10 Jun 2013 15:12 #591630 by martin_csr
It sounds like you have it at the stiffest setting.

More
15 Jun 2013 18:06 - 15 Jun 2013 18:07 #592449 by upncummr

650ed wrote: If you contact Dave Quinn at the link below he will set up a pair to match you bike, your weight, your riding style, etc. Mine are like #4 in the bottom picture in the link.

davequinnmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/webc.cg...GON_TWIN_SHOCKS.html

quote]

650ed:

I just sent an email off to Dave Quinn re: information and his recommendation re: replacement components. Hopefully he'll have something he can come up with.

Thanks again for the info.

Gary

Last edit: 15 Jun 2013 18:07 by upncummr.