(Shake) up-date

More
08 Jun 2013 17:38 #591334 by P21
(Shake) up-date was created by P21
ok work on this all week alittle at a time between work.
1-rebalanced front wheel with weights-OK
2-align the front rotors-OK
3-adjusted steering stem bearings-OK
4-new front brake pads-OK
5-road test at 100 MPH- its all good now no shake anywhere so as to what it was you have to factor all that i did but it is smooth as glass now B)

ride safe my fellow riders

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2013 19:13 #591340 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic (Shake) up-date
Which method did you use to balance your front tire?

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
08 Jun 2013 22:34 #591351 by steell
Replied by steell on topic (Shake) up-date
I use the "Dining Room Chair" method of wheel balancing :P

Static balance using the axle to suspend the tire and wheel assembly between the two chairs.

KD9JUR

More
09 Jun 2013 01:18 #591385 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic (Shake) up-date

steell wrote: I use the "Dining Room Chair" method of wheel balancing :P
Static balance using the axle to suspend the tire and wheel assembly between the two chairs.

I sit in the chair, and use the "Bar Stool" method.
The other chair can be used to put stuff. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
09 Jun 2013 10:16 #591411 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic (Shake) up-date
I need to balance my front tire on my bike. I thought about doing it myself but havent yet.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
09 Jun 2013 10:20 #591412 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic (Shake) up-date
Here’s how I was taught to balance a tire/wheel. Put the axle through the wheel bearings and suspend each end of the axle on something high enough to keep the tire from touching the floor (I use ice chests because I don’t have bar stools :laugh: ). Give the tire a gentle spin – it should rotate freely for a while before stopping. When it stops put a small piece of masking tape on the wheel at the 12:00 o’clock position. That is the lightest side of the wheel/tire combo. Give it another spin. When the tire stops spinning the masking tape should be at the 12:00 o’clock position again. This verifies that is the lightest spot. Tape 2 separate 1/2 oz. weights where you marked the light side. Spin the tire. When the tire stops spinning if the weights end up at 12:00 o’clock replace the 1/2 oz. weights with 2 slightly heavier weights – maybe 3/4 oz. and try again. If the weights end up at the 6:00 o’clock position trim a little equal amount off each on and spin it again. When you have found the correct amount of weight the tire will stop at different positions each time you spin it.

Now here’s why you use 2 weights. You now need to move one weight 60 degrees to the left of the spot you marked as being light and move the other weight 60 degrees to the right of that spot. Tape them in their new locations and spin the tire. It should stop in a different location each time. If not; adjust both weight a little but by equal amounts until it does. Once you reach the point where the tire stops at a different place after each spin mount the weights in those positions.

By moving each weight 60 degrees away from the light spot you have created 3 points on the wheel that balance it out, the original heavy spot and 2 weighted spots, and these 3 points are evenly distributed around the wheel – each is 120 degrees from the other. If you only use a single weight and place it 180 degrees away from the heavy spot you create a barbell effect that is not desirable. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)