Police Bike rear drum brakes

• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
01 Jun 2013 18:55 #590319 by ed spangler
Police Bike rear drum brakes was created by ed spangler
OK, Finally got all the shift linkage stuff solved,:-) :-)good Friend in Arizona :-) :-) went to a Bike Boneyard there , found me rest of parts I need for the Shift Linkage. So today layed out all the Brake stuff, thought I had that covered.....NOPE!..... I have the Brake arm one piece of slotted linkage which takes the thing back to where a Standard bike would have the standard brake pedal mounted. Since I have rear drum brakes, now I have to figure out what from that point is supposed to connect and operate the rear drum brakes by levers , linkage etc.. Anyone have an exploded parts views of Rear Drum brake operated police Bike????? At least if I could see what was originally used, if I cant find it....Hell, Ill make it!! Appreciate any help!!
Ed Spangler
ed.spangler68@gmail.com

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2013 22:00 #590348 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Police Bike rear drum brakes
What Police bike is it? I didn't think any of the them had a drum brake, in the US anyway.

Not sure what help this will be, but perhaps check into the Rr brake on the Z1 or 76 KZ900?
Rr-brake diagram, Footrests/Brake-pedal diagram, & Swing-arm/Shock-absorber diagram.
The Partzilla site is easy to use, so you could zip around there pretty quick to see if anything looks familiar.

Also, internet photos & ebbaayy pics might help?

More
01 Jun 2013 23:29 #590370 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Police Bike rear drum brakes

martin_csr wrote: What Police bike is it? I didn't think any of the them had a drum brake, in the US anyway....

+1 Kawasaki.com shows rear disk brakes on all police models starting in 1978. Maybe someone did a switcheroo? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
02 Jun 2013 07:54 #590396 by ed spangler
Replied by ed spangler on topic Police Bike rear drum brakes

martin_csr wrote: What Police bike is it? I didn't think any of the them had a drum brake, in the US anyway.

Not sure what help this will be, but perhaps check into the Rr brake on the Z1 or 76 KZ900?
Rr-brake diagram, Footrests/Brake-pedal diagram, & Swing-arm/Shock-absorber diagram.
The Partzilla site is easy to use, so you could zip around there pretty quick to see if anything looks familiar.

Also, internet photos & ebayy pics might help?

Actually there were '75 Model Police bikes made!!!,( California ) Now if necessary I can provide proof.( Did my homework, and bike I bought these parts from was actually alleged to be a '74 prototype!!, ).
Mine is a standard '75 Z, I bought all the Mounting Bars,Floorboards,Heel Toe shifter and Police style brake pedal along with some linkage etc. Have everything sorted out now for shifter side thanks to my friend Dave in AZ. :woohoo: What I have for the brake side is of course mounting bar, and Brake pedal and one piece of slotted linkage. It would seem its time to break out all the modding stuff and just fabricate what I need to make brake side work...( Not going to alter stock frame in any way, want to be able to replace factory stock parts if and when I choose) Regards Ed

• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
02 Jun 2013 08:04 #590398 by ed spangler

ed spangler wrote:

martin_csr wrote: What Police bike is it? I didn't think any of the them had a drum brake, in the US anyway.

Also, internet photos & ebayy pics might help?

Actually there were '75 Model Police bikes made!!!,( California ) Now if necessary I can provide proof.( Did my homework, and bike I bought these parts from was actually alleged to be a '74 prototype!!, ).
Mine is a standard '75 Z, I bought all the Mounting Bars,Floorboards,Heel Toe shifter and Police style brake pedal along with some linkage etc. Have everything sorted out now for shifter side thanks to my friend Dave in AZ. :woohoo: What I have for the brake side is of course mounting bar, and Brake pedal and one piece of slotted linkage. It would seem its time to break out all the modding stuff and just fabricate what I need to make brake side work...( Not going to alter stock frame in any way, want to be able to replace factory stock parts if and when I choose) Regards Ed

Attachments:

More
02 Jun 2013 10:13 #590418 by 650ed
Since it's a police bike based on the '75 Z1B it might use the same brake control parts as the standard Z1B. If so, these diagrams might help. Ed

Attachment 00000_2013-06-02.jpg not found

Attachment 00000a.jpg not found

Attachments:

• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
02 Jun 2013 18:36 - 02 Jun 2013 18:36 #590495 by ed spangler
THANKS 650ed!!!!!! :)

Last edit: 02 Jun 2013 18:36 by ed spangler. Reason: xyz

More
02 Jun 2013 18:56 #590503 by P21
Replied by P21 on topic Police Bike rear drum brakes
you the man 650ed we be lost without your wealth of info buddy

great job! and just for that you deserve a reward enjoy man

Attachment Raquel-Welch-raquel-welch-1052517_1024_768.jpg not found

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21
Attachments:

More
02 Jun 2013 21:20 #590530 by 650ed
That's what I call a reward!! Ed

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
02 Jun 2013 21:38 #590536 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Police Bike rear drum brakes
look at the 73-76 brake arm...then look for the brake rod and two nuts...spring...it is not much...lemme look around online

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
02 Jun 2013 23:24 #590583 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic Police Bike rear drum brakes
I think what Ed is talking about is what amounts to forward controls. From his description there is a lever where the standard pedal would be. Sounds like you just need the rear part Ed? Like Tri said, it is not much. Basically a rod that is threaded on both ends like your 75. A picture of what you have would be helpful.
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
03 Jun 2013 07:22 - 03 Jun 2013 07:35 #590623 by ed spangler

kzz1king wrote: I think what Ed is talking about is what amounts to forward controls. From his description there is a lever where the standard pedal would be. Sounds like you just need the rear part Ed? Like Tri said, it is not much. Basically a rod that is threaded on both ends like your 75. A picture of what you have would be helpful.
Wayne

Thanks Everyone!! :)
Attached photos show what parts I have. :unsure: :ohmy: Please let me know if it would help if I took more/differenet pics, be glad to.I did manage to find a Rubber Brake pedal for it, seems they are the same for many years, tried Pedal off 1996 Police bike, fit perfect, Chris at Z1E ( AWESOME GUY!!) ordered me one. By the way, in pic of Brake arm you can't see it because its upside down, but it has a tab welded on it that allows linkage like the slotted linkage piece shown to fit. when laying all this out, the slotted linkage piece extends back to where the stock brake arm mounted, so i "ASSUME" there was some kind of rotating actuator that rotated where the stock arm used to mount and operated lever's engaging rear drum brake......again just "ASSUMPTIONS" on my part, thats why I want to try and least find some pics of one of early California Police Bikes showing brake mech.. Break out the Modding stuff!! WOOHOO! Now, rest assured no permanent changes to bike or frame will be made, want it to be so I can easily change back to stock brake if desired.
MANY THANKS TO DAVE in Arizona!! :woohoo: :woohoo: B) :) He went to a Bike Bone Yard there and discovered missing shift linkage pieces that I could use to finish that piece of this project.
Regards All!!
Again,Thanks!!
ED

Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Jun 2013 07:35 by ed spangler. Reason: xyz