broken screws

More
31 May 2013 22:49 #590168 by nickleo373
broken screws was created by nickleo373
Hey everyone
Today i was removing the battery housing from my 81 kz550 ltd. While removing the screws that hold it to the bike, I somehow managed to break all four of the original screws leaving the bottom halves stuck inside the holes. I tried everything i could think of to remove them but in the end i was forced to drill through them which removed the tread inside the holes. Needless to say it was a miserable experience trying to rig the new screws to stay in place. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get a broken screw out of a motorcycle for future reference?
Thanks
Nick

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2013 23:19 #590180 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic broken screws
I'm not trying to be a smartass, but the best tip is not to break them. If you soak stubborn fasteners with Kroil for a couple days they will come out with very little difficulty. I have used it to loosen fasteners that I thought would be impossible to budge, and they came out without a problem. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
01 Jun 2013 10:04 #590251 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic broken screws
650ed has good advice. a type of soaking agent can sometimes go along way. But after the damage is done i would of tried gripping it with some vise grips and heating it gently and try to rock the pliers slowly until it starts turning. But since its drilled out. I dont know how think the metal is there and how big you drilled your hole but you might be able to use heli coils or time serts. Or if the bolt goes all the way thru maybe use a lock nut?

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
01 Jun 2013 12:18 #590275 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic broken screws
Penetrant. I've never used Kroil but it's supposed to be good, as mentioned. LiquidWrench penetrating lubricant is a good alternative - it's readily available & cheap. Just spray & let it sit overnight or longer - spray again in the morning & let it sit. etc.

Heat. On some stuff, you can use heat from a propane torch, but I would only do that w a part off the bike... such as the fork bottom allen bolts or fork caps. Or wheel dust cover screws. Or tail light bracket bolts.
Never use a torch around the fuel tank, carbs, or wiring.

Vibration. Sometimes you can use a wood block & hammer to tap, tap, tap - use in conjunction w a penetrant. A hand impact wrench is good for some fasteners. Use the proper bit, fit it to the screw head, then whack the end of the tool w a hammer. The stator cover screws & pulsing coil cover screws come to mind. A lot of guys end up replacing those because the screw heads get buggered... mine still look almost new.

More
01 Jun 2013 21:11 #590339 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic broken screws
Thanks everyone. I ended up using a nut to connect another screw to keep the two pieces together. It seems to be working fine. Next time I'll use some spray first

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

More
01 Jun 2013 21:16 #590340 by richard_oxon
Replied by richard_oxon on topic broken screws
also if the bolt goes all the way tho wirebrush the thread to remove most of the rust helps as well ...

** KZ1000 B3 1979 ** 1015cc wiseco pistons 33 smoothbores ported head 410 cams
** KZ1000 A1 1977** 1075 wiseco pistons 438 megacycle cams ported head rs34 flat slides

More
01 Jun 2013 21:19 #590341 by P21
Replied by P21 on topic broken screws
Kroil your friend

cant you tap a new larger thread
should have drill it what ever the bolt size was

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21