what shocks can i use to lower my 1980 kz440?

More
08 May 2013 23:02 #586461 by dreblackx
Hi!
Im new to this forum and motorcycle world. I recently got my hands on a 1980 kz440! Problem, im a 5'5 small build girl who lives on a steep hill. Im having serious problems parking and manuvering the bike. I need my feet more flat on the ground to give me more leverage and control. Ive seen that the vulcan 500 shocks are an easy swap and drop the back end about 2". Is there truth to this?? Also, where can a girl find a smaller seat? Maybe even a single seater?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2013 23:14 #586462 by dreblackx
Replied by dreblackx on topic what shocks can i use to lower my 1980 kz440?
Oh, and how involved of a project is lowering the front end??

More
09 May 2013 10:01 - 09 May 2013 12:01 #586551 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic what shocks can i use to lower my 1980 kz440?
According to a reply by Andy-the-Gringo, the Vulcan 500 shocks are a direct bolt on &
I think they are either ~11" or ~12" eye-to-eye. Stock KZ shocks are in the 13.5" range,
give or take a little. Before buying, you could ask for a measurement - specify eye-to-eye.
I don't know if all EN500 shocks are the same length - the model was around for a long time.

You might be able to raise the fork tubes perhaps an inch in the triple tree.
Put the bike on the center stand & support the engine, loosen the triple tree clamp bolts,
then slide the tubes up. You may have to twist the tubes to get them to move.
If they won't budge, then carefully pry the clamps open a tad w a big screwdriver.
The handlebars will determine how far up they'll go.

Another option is to replace the spacer that sits on top of the fork springs w something shorter. Some guys use 1" pvc pipe.

For the seat, you might be able to replace the foam w something thinner, which might get you an inch or so?
Perhaps someone can suggest a good foam to use.
Last edit: 09 May 2013 12:01 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dreblackx

• Killman
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
More
09 May 2013 14:16 #586589 by Killman
Replied by Killman on topic what shocks can i use to lower my 1980 kz440?
I put some 12" Progressive Suspension shocks on the rear and I'm swapping out the fork uppers with a set from a '78 B Model. I'm 5'10" and 210 lbs., so I don't really need it, but I wasn't crazy about the nose sticking up in the air like a wannabe chopper.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack