Need saddlebag mount ideas

More
01 May 2013 17:02 #585140 by Dmrennells
Need saddlebag mount ideas was created by Dmrennells
I have an 82 KZ1000 LTD that I brought back from the pasture (literally rotting on the farm). Now that it’s on the road again, I am changing a few things. I am going for an OD green look, and am looking for ideas to attach the 20mm ammo cans I have. I am a novice welder, and am expecting to make brackets. I also expect to move the turn signals. I’d like the cans to be removable. Has anyone made their own saddlebag brackets? Pictures would be great inspiration.

82 KZ1000-K2
Green Knights Dakota Thunder Chapter 68

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2013 16:03 #592729 by Dmrennells
Replied by Dmrennells on topic Need saddlebag mount ideas
Since I didn’t get any responses, I went ahead and fabricated a mount for them.

82 KZ1000-K2
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZ_Doc

More
18 Jun 2013 19:17 #592926 by Dmrennells
Replied by Dmrennells on topic Need saddlebag mount ideas
And to help others who are looking for mounting bracket ideas. It was just a 1"X6' of 1/8" steel. Cut it into 5 pieces. Bent, drilled, and painted. Then took the 5th piece, and use it to relocate the turn signals. They have been tested up to 30 lbs so far. I used a rubber grommet in each hole in the ammo cans, so they stay air tight.

82 KZ1000-K2
Attachments:

More
18 Jun 2013 20:07 #592941 by mopguy
Replied by mopguy on topic Need saddlebag mount ideas
Good job and thanks for sharing, now all I need are the hard bags.

I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.

More
18 Jun 2013 21:30 #592957 by lightitup
Replied by lightitup on topic Need saddlebag mount ideas
sweet idea i have been thinking of a way to do soft bag mounts after i pick the ones i want thanks for the ideas

81 kz 550 ltd

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
19 Jun 2013 07:54 #593022 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Need saddlebag mount ideas
those look sturdy. I made my own a couple of years ago for some soft bags. They were a bit flimsy for the weight i had in them. On a hot day outside of phoenix i was doing about 100mph and i heard this extremely loud explosion come from the back of the bike. I immediately pulled over thinking it was the end of the trip. The mounts i made slowly drooped until the bottom of the right bag was being blasted by the exhaust, which melted a hole in in the bag, and then caused the small propane bottle i was using for my stove to explode from pressure. scared the crap outta me.

Sorry to thread jack. Nice work on the mounts i don't think you'll have the same problem.

More
19 Jun 2013 10:07 #593040 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Need saddlebag mount ideas
Reminds of the woman sitting in her car at the grocery store parking lot, screaming for help while trying to hold her brains inside the back of her head after hearing a gunshot.

Turns out that a compressed biscuit container had exploded in the rear seat. :lol:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD