First decent ride= spongy rear brake.

More
27 Apr 2013 10:58 - 27 Apr 2013 15:58 #584251 by Roadflyer
First decent ride= spongy rear brake. was created by Roadflyer
I finally got the bike tabbed and went out for a fist ride ( except for the 2 mile sneak out on the road without tabs). I put about 30 miles on the bike and noticed the rear brake getting spongy.
I also noticed that the rear brake peddle and shifter were a positioned little high. When I got home I brought out the tools to adjust them, while adjusting the brake I could hear a creak from the rear caliper. On closer inspection I saw that the 2 halves of the caliper had opened up a bit. Seems I neglected to torque down the caliper half bolts when I rebuilt it!!!
Other than that, the bike ran flawlessly. I'm a bit shocked at how quick it is! I was hoping that the Shaftie with Wiseco 1045 and Harmon cams would be almost as fast as my old Z1R, I think its quicker! Wacking the throttle open in second gear at about 45 mph makes the back tire break loose a bit, the higher the revs the harder it pulls and the more I slide back on the seat.
I was going to ride it this year and find a set of smoothbores and get Larry to do the head next winter, but this thing is already a bit of a beast and plenty fast for me. I love the sound too!
Oddly enough, on the way home a guy on an Electraglide pulled up beside me on the highway to give me the thumbs up.
I think the old Girl now has a permanent space in my stable! What a great ride!

1979 kz1000 shaftie rebuild project
1045 wiseco 10.25-1 pistons
Kenny Harmon 380 lift cams
Last edit: 27 Apr 2013 15:58 by Roadflyer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2013 12:15 #584265 by Hollywoodmx
Replied by Hollywoodmx on topic First decent ride= spongy rear brake.

Roadflyer wrote: I finally got the bike tabbed and went out for a fist ride ( except for the 2 mile sneak out on the road without tabs). I put about 30 miles on the bike and noticed the rear brake getting spongy.
I also noticed that the rear brake peddle and shifter were a positioned little high. When I got home I brought out the tools to adjust them, while adjusting the brake I could hear a creak from the rear caliper. On closer inspection I saw that the 2 halves of the caliper had opened up a bit. Seems I neglected to torque down the caliper half bolts when I rebuilt it!!!
Other than that, the bike ran flawlessly. I'm a bit shocked at how quick it is! I was hoping that the Shaftie with Wiseco 1045 and Harmon cams would be almost as fast as my old Z1R, I think its quicker! Wacking the throttle open in second gear at about 45 mph makes the back tire beak loose a bit, the higher the revs the harder it pulls and the more I slide back on the seat.
I was going to ride it this year and find a set of smoothbores and get Larry to do the head next winter, but this thing is already a bit of a beast and plenty fast for me. I love the sound too!
Oddly enough, on the way home a guy on an Electraglide pulled up beside me on the highway to give me the thumbs up.
I think the old Girl now has a permanent space in my stable! What a great ride!

Right on man! That's pretty good!

Ya I am sometimes jealous of the 10+:1 compression with cams folks. I have 7.8:1 with cams and all the fancy engine bits but comparing the initial throttle response between the two is redonkulous.

I notice it more as well because I have a tricked out yz250 2 stroke that is sooo snappy it makes the street bikes jealous..lol.

- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.