kz550 new handlebars?

More
14 Apr 2013 22:34 #582347 by dan123
kz550 new handlebars? was created by dan123
i was just given my first bike, an 82 kz550, and the handlebars have a pretty nasty bend in them. from what ive read it sounds like i should just replace them but when i start looking for a replacement i get quite overwhelmed, i dont know where to start. there are so many different styles and places to buy that there is no way ill be able to decide. what i could really use help with is what shape/style i should get, i realize this is preference based but seeing that im totally new i have no idea what to shoot for. also any info on a reliable source would be excellent. thanks

1982 kz550C LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2013 23:31 #582365 by boatdrinks
Replied by boatdrinks on topic kz550 new handlebars?
Tell us which model 550 you have. Is it an A model, C, H(GPz)?

Charles
Madison, AL
1978 KZ650 B2A, Luminous Dark Blue

More
14 Apr 2013 23:52 #582375 by boatdrinks
Replied by boatdrinks on topic kz550 new handlebars?
Take a look at this if you haven't already it may help make some sense of your options. Page 3 gives you a primer on handlebar dimensions.

I saw in an earlier post that you have an LTD and came with what I call buckhorn handle bars. To me that type handle bar is too high and has too much pullback and makes it very difficult to control the bike especially at slow speeds. If it were me I would look at some of the bars with a shorter pull back say something in the neighborhood of 4 to 5 inches. Just remember if you go a lot lower or higher in height and or pullback you may need to get new cables as well as they current cables could end up being either too long or too short.

Good luck!

www.emgo.com/images/pdf/2013_Controls.pdf

Charles
Madison, AL
1978 KZ650 B2A, Luminous Dark Blue

More
15 Apr 2013 01:03 - 15 Apr 2013 12:21 #582398 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic kz550 new handlebars?
Superbike bars - fairly common install - the Fr Br master cylinder will sit at a steep angle. There may not be any room for the turn signals (I'm assuming your bike has the ridiculous Ltd bars).

European (Euro bars) - a little higher &/or more pullback than the Superbike bars. The Fr Br mc will sit at an angle, but not too bad. I have these on my 81 650-CSR. There isn't much room for the turn signalsI, but I had already moved them to the headlight bucket.

Daytona - a little higher &/or more pullback than the Euro bars.

BMW Med Tall Street - high rise & pullback but wide. They're kinda like cruiser handlebars. I originally installed these - the riding position is upright & they are fine for speeds to ~60-65mph but only for short periods of time. Around town they are good but not so good for long highway rides. The Fr Br mc will be level w these.

Changing handlebars can be a chore. I moved the turn signals first, installing rear-type stems in place of the big headlight bolts. Then I got the BMW bars & a shorter upper brake line. Then Euro bars & a shorter clutch cable. I still need shorter throttle cables & I'd prefer a mc that sits level.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2013 12:21 by martin_csr.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
15 Apr 2013 02:48 - 15 Apr 2013 02:51 #582409 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic kz550 new handlebars?
My first set of handlebars that I put on was the broomstick bend, which is actually no bend at all, it is a straight drag bar.
the Daytona handlebars are good but not for my ltd because the foot pegs are so far forward and I looks like an ape on that thing so the stock ones are fine although they are not exactly straight as far as they once were.
put your bike on the center stand and see where your hands are comfortable then imagine g-forces or you could find some replacements.

Attachment kz550manual.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Apr 2013 02:51 by donthaveakawman. Reason: photograph

More
15 Apr 2013 05:29 #582419 by lightitup
Replied by lightitup on topic kz550 new handlebars?
i have a set of stock bars i just took of my 550ltd if u want them pm me. and i put euro bars on mine and needed to relocate the turn signals. i also need a new front master cylinder and shorter brake line.

81 kz 550 ltd

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
15 Apr 2013 17:37 #582513 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic kz550 new handlebars?
your next best bet would be mini apehangers and ltd controls- wiring, throttle cable,brake line, clutch cable etc.