gsxr full suspension swap on 76 kz900

• high toned son of a bitch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Apr 2013 09:47 #581780 by high toned son of a bitch
gsxr full suspension swap on 76 kz900 was created by high toned son of a bitch
Hey guys, here's what I have done so far.

76 KZ900
2003 gsxr 750 rear swingarm/wheel/shock/etc
2003 gsxr 750 front suspension/triple tree/tire/etc

My problem is the forks hit the tank when I turn like in parking lot manuvers. This is with the stock tank. I have an old tank from my 79 1000 Shaft Drive, and it is better, but the tank doesn't really fit the frame very well. I can make it work, but I am running out of time to get this baby fixed up. WHat tank do you guys use? It's like my triple tree needs to angle/push the forks forward more.

The only other issue I have is the clip on's from the GSXR are REALLY far forward. I have to lean forward AND my elbows are locked. It's not terrible, but not the most comfortable either. I would like something where I don't have to lean forward quite as much. So that means the handlebars/clip-on's I'm looking for need to come up and back a little.

Thanks for any help guys!!!
MIke

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2013 10:04 #581782 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic gsxr full suspension swap on 76 kz900
Same tank, mod the tank mounting (rubber damper studs above coils, cut and re-welded into place), seat mounting hinges and tail piece back ~ 1.5"....

They make clip on risers... Google is your friend....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Apr 2013 11:16 #581792 by high toned son of a bitch
Replied by high toned son of a bitch on topic gsxr full suspension swap on 76 kz900

Old Man Rock wrote: Same tank, mod the tank mounting (rubber damper studs above coils, cut and re-welded into place), seat mounting hinges and tail piece back ~ 1.5"....

They make clip on risers... Google is your friend....

OMR,
I was thinking of doing that with the tank, but I get a huge gap inbetween the "neck" area of the tank and the steering stem area. It looks funny to me, like there should be something there, maybe a filler piece or something.

I have made my own seat and pan, just needs covered now, so I won't have to push it back. Is your orange bike the same period GSXR stuff as mine? I have always liked your bike, just never looked up your specs on it.

Thanks

• Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Apr 2013 11:26 #581795 by high toned son of a bitch
Replied by high toned son of a bitch on topic gsxr full suspension swap on 76 kz900
OMR,
I just checked yours out, you used a different style suspension. Looks very good. Did you also have the same problem with the forks hitting the tank? My forks being inverted also are huge up top. I thought about cutting into the tank, but I think that would take away the look of the tank that everyoneknows.
I will try tonight to push it back and see how it looks. Maybe if I had somekind of dash or something there in front of the fuel cap to cover up the gap...

More
11 Apr 2013 11:37 #581797 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic gsxr full suspension swap on 76 kz900
most folks just use steering stops to limit the movement,and keep the forks/bars outta the tank.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
11 Apr 2013 11:53 - 11 Apr 2013 11:54 #581799 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic gsxr full suspension swap on 76 kz900
All of us modding the fron ends had this issue for newer forks widths, in my case Kawi ZX6R, are ~ 10" wide outer tube to outer tube....

Some chose to leave it (powder coated frame :pinch:) as is using redesigned steering stops and just don't turn full radius.... :blink:

@ 1.5" back I don't have a huge gap that looks awkward... to me anyways... Can't say for your set up....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Apr 2013 11:54 by Old Man Rock.
The following user(s) said Thank You: high toned son of a bitch

More
11 Apr 2013 17:10 #581868 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic gsxr full suspension swap on 76 kz900
OMR...did you HAVE to move 1.5" to get enough clearance or could you have gotten by with a smaller move? I can imagine with the size of the upper tube needing more room but thought it would be less then 1.5".

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
26 Apr 2013 09:38 #584074 by homert1
Replied by homert1 on topic gsxr full suspension swap on 76 kz900
OMR........new to this site and FYI you have an awesome bike!! That being said I have purchased a 76 KZ900 and have a plan to swap out the suspension. I see you used ZX636 front and rear.......did you have to change any of the spring rates due to the extra weight??? I have been looking for forks and swingarm but was concerned about handling!! Any help??

• Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Sep 2013 10:18 #606172 by high toned son of a bitch
So an update on the conversion stuff.

The original clipons put your arms STRAIGHT (think elbows locked) and about shoulder width apart all the way down. Also leaning forward ALOT. I rode it for about 10 minutes and my hands were numb from holding myself up. Now I have had carpal tunnel surgery in both my wrists, but I think just about anyone would be uncomfortable.

So I found a upper triple tree conversion kit from a dude on ebay that allows you to put any 7/8 handlebar on it. They risers are very low, but they are offset, so you can mount them closer or further away from you. Pretty cool setup, it is for gsxr's that guys convert to a stuntbike. I think the brand on mine is LSL or L&L maybe.

I dont like to run front fenders, so I had the caliper crossover brake hose just hanging out, since these GSXR's have one line that goes down from the master to the right front caliper, then another short hose goes from there up and over the tire (i guess mounted somehow to the front fender) and connects to the other caliper. To do away with that, I bought another set of front brake hoses and a couple banjo bolts, put a T fitting behind my headlight, and ran each hose down each fork.

For the rear, my 5/8ths offset sprocket was grinding into my original cover. So I trimmed off about 1" from the back of it. You still cannot see the sprocket, so it didn't take much.

I have alot of info that might help someone if they try to tackle this project. Maybe save someone some money. Seems like alot of the research I originally did on this conversion made it seem easy, but then I see other guys with a different swap setup and theirs sounds alot easier than mine was. I dunno.

Mike

• Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Sep 2013 10:29 #606175 by high toned son of a bitch
Actually, I think when I get the body back on it, I will try to submit a bunch of pictures and do a full write up on it.
These bikes are so cool, it seems like no matter where you go, there is always somebody who is like "Man, my dad had one of those when I was a kid", or "Yep, I had one when I was younger, had to sell it because of the baby" or something like that.
ALways a story with the vintage iron.

More
12 Sep 2013 11:12 #606186 by Hollywoodmx
Replied by Hollywoodmx on topic gsxr full suspension swap on 76 kz900
Some good suggestions above I will add some more;

At minimum making your own steering stops is #1. Now if that reduces your steering too much few more options;

Remove the stock rubber tank mounts. Put tape on them so they dont scratch your tank. Put the tank back on without the rubbers. Is that ok? if it is you just save the hassle of moving everything back, make custom smaller rubbers that will work. Seat might move back a little with that.

Another option get custom triple tree's made that move the forks forward, pricey but makes the problem go away and is bolt on.

In my case my upper triple is super close to my tank (different tank than yours) and my turning radius is too short still with the stops in place. I plan on grinding away at my upper triple to see if that gives me enough turning radius. If not then custom trips. I was going to go custom but in the winter time but I may be stuck.

Sounds like you got the bars sorted my preference would have been adjustable clip ons, there are affordable options there.

- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

More
16 May 2015 18:46 #672424 by henrybenavides45
Replied by henrybenavides45 on topic gsxr full suspension swap on 76 kz900
Hi i have a z2 frame and 92 gsx-r forks and swingarm in place. I have been away from m/c ing about ten years .I need all the help i can get. THANKS, HENRY