Mono-shock linkage...

• racer54
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
10 Apr 2013 23:27 - 10 Apr 2013 23:37 #581738 by racer54
Mono-shock linkage... was created by racer54
For all you guys who have done this...when you decide to go mono-shock, how do you decide where to put the top shock mount? I have seen where the shock if fairly straight up with a mount right is the middle of area under seat to where the mount is on a crossmember welded in between framerails running down behind engine. Does it really matter the angle of the shock? How did you determine the height of the top mount? I am assuming this is a way to adjust the ride height while building your bike. Mount the shock higher in the frame to lower the ride height or does the bottom mount determine this to some extent? What linkage is best to use? Do you just find the cheapest setup you can and build around it or what? I know some buy a whole bike and take pieces from it but what if you can't find a whole bike to rob from and have to buy piece by piece...are the parts able to mix and match...say a zx12 swingarm using a gsxr1000 linkage? Been looking around E-Bay and its hard to find a complete front end with brakes, wheels, forks etc. as well as finding a complete rear setup with swingarm. wheel, brakes, linkage, etc. to use on a build. As you can tell, I'm lost on this so any information and insight you want to share would be great.

Sorry about the multiple posts...this site is giving me lots of problems logging on, cutting me off and now this...

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110
Last edit: 10 Apr 2013 23:37 by racer54.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2013 23:53 - 11 Apr 2013 00:01 #581740 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Mono-shock linkage...

racer54 wrote: For all you guys who have done this...when you decide to go mono-shock, how do you decide where to put the top shock mount? I have seen where the shock if fairly straight up with a mount right is the middle of area under seat to where the mount is on a crossmember welded in between framerails running down behind engine. Does it really matter the angle of the shock? How did you determine the height of the top mount? I am assuming this is a way to adjust the ride height while building your bike. Mount the shock higher in the frame to lower the ride height or does the bottom mount determine this to some extent? What linkage is best to use? Do you just find the cheapest setup you can and build around it or what? I know some buy a whole bike and take pieces from it but what if you can't find a whole bike to rob from and have to buy piece by piece...are the parts able to mix and match...say a zx12 swingarm using a gsxr1000 linkage? Been looking around E-Bay and its hard to find a complete front end with brakes, wheels, forks etc. as well as finding a complete rear setup with swingarm. wheel, brakes, linkage, etc. to use on a build. As you can tell, I'm lost on this so any information and insight you want to share would be great.

Sorry about the multiple posts...this site is giving me lots of problems logging on, cutting me off and now this...

You should be able to get all the parts from one model....maybe not one bike but at least all the same model. Avoid mixing things if at all possible.

I got forks and wheels with brakes from a guy in Canada, swing arm and shock off ebay. The worst part was bidding on f'n foot pegs. You would not believe what a pain in the ass that was :laugh:

Look at how the shock mounts on the model you get that stuff from. You'll see if there's angle to it or relatively straight. This may help. It's from when I was doing my LTD 1979 LTD Streetfighter

Larry C.
Last edit: 11 Apr 2013 00:01 by LarryC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
11 Apr 2013 11:06 - 11 Apr 2013 11:08 #581790 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Mono-shock linkage...
Bingo... "angle to it or relatively straight."....

Also insure when shock is compressed, travel doesn't bind the shock coil going through the arm thus provides you exactly where the top mount it will need to be...

Oh the PITA of figuring out where the new battery box/electrical tray needs to be.... :laugh:

NOTE: Not laughing at you but the mind numbing experience you'll be going through. Larry and I still laugh about what we went through to get this dialed in right... A whole bunch of "Oh shit, didn't think of that"...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 11 Apr 2013 11:08 by Old Man Rock.

More
11 Apr 2013 12:21 #581803 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic Mono-shock linkage...
The battery thing was a real pain for me also. I looked at all kinds of smaller, high tech batts to save space but did not like the disclaimers. Have fun, it is a learning experience. :cheer:
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

More
11 Apr 2013 14:01 #581828 by LarryC
I'll give you some helpful pointers if you want but I"m sure as hell not typing it all out. Call if you want them. Make it in the evening about 6:30ish

Larry C.

More
11 Apr 2013 16:34 #581859 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic Mono-shock linkage...
I used rock's design with ZX6 stuff battery box was moved forward and lowered

Les Makes a complete bolt in kit I've seen up close and personal if I were
building another mono set up it would be his 1 stop shop bolt on.

about the same money if you count the countless hours bidding buying and
head scratching & modifications :lol:

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

• racer54
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
11 Apr 2013 17:04 #581866 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Mono-shock linkage...
This won't be a road bike per se....more of a strip/street bike...heavy on the strip part. I'll have more leeway as to where everything goes on this bike so hopefully things will go a little easier in fitting parts. Hard to get a dual shock arm built long enough so thought about a mono-shock beings it isn't so hard to get the length I want. Will be giving Les a call beings he can make both styles. Just didn't know where to start as to where mounts should be, etc and beings you guys have sorted this all out, you are the experts.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
11 Apr 2013 18:20 #581873 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Mono-shock linkage...
My single shock setup which I used as a prototype build for future builds, I brought in a Purdue design engineer and coincidentally, a like minded gear head to put all the dimensions into autocad to get a full picture of the real movements and limits of the original design of the ZX suspension. With that information we worked around the stock centerstand mounts, stock ZX linkages, and position of the upper mount and shock angle to determine where the placement of the linkage hookup on the arm should be and the upper shock mount. Basically, we threw darts at a dart board using a funnel to hit a predetermined target. WE DIDN'T GUESS!

Now, to build a long swingarm without 2 shocks but build long for single is probably due to the available shocks that can be tuned to work in a drag racing application

Right now we are working on a flat link to allow lowering the bike quite a bit more while still using the center stand mounts but getting the correct ratio of movement has proven to be somewhat elusive. We will get it but it takes more time now, my engineer moved to another job and we don't get together as often as I need.

Les

More
11 Apr 2013 18:37 #581878 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Mono-shock linkage...
Many years ago on my first monoshock builds i used to make a jig off which ever bike was the donor.
The jig clamped on the swingarms pivot tube and picked up the shock mounts etc so it could easily be transfered over to the project bike.
It was a simple matter of building out the mounts off the frame to meet the jig.
I've done so many now i rarely use a jig and any ride height hiccups can be rectified with adjustable linkage bars.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
11 Apr 2013 23:02 #581923 by LarryC
If you're only drag racing it, it will be relatively easy to sort out.

Larry C.

More
09 Feb 2016 02:28 #710075 by diego092409
Replied by diego092409 on topic Mono-shock linkage...
I am in the midst of sorting out this very thing on my swing arm swap. I have a 2006 GSXR 600 rear suspension that I am putting in I probably belaboring the linkage to death. The GSXR 600 design has the tension arms attaching to where the center stand ear were. I am wondering what kind of forces this will see and will the thin little ears there withstand the force of the 2 - 12 mm linkages or would I be better off putting new thicker tabs in there?

I plan on welding in the upper shock mount tonight, I will take a picture of what the lower linkage looks like. My back ground is in industrial construction and not used to doing anything with material that is less than 1/4" thick but then again, I am not supporting 40' of 24" pipe either; just my large self...

1982 KZ1100 B2 - 'Old Red' kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601185-gpz-1100-resto-mod-old-red
2015 BMW K1600GT
2017 KTM 690 Enduro R
2018 Kymco Spade (wife's)

More
09 Feb 2016 16:56 #710220 by diego092409
Replied by diego092409 on topic Mono-shock linkage...
Here is pic of what I working with. I think I am going to be cutting off the old tabs and putting new 12 mm thick tabs with a clevis for the attachment center stand cross member and a 12 mm turn buckle assembly back to the linkage to replace the one hanging there by a zip tie.

Does this seem logical?

1982 KZ1100 B2 - 'Old Red' kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601185-gpz-1100-resto-mod-old-red
2015 BMW K1600GT
2017 KTM 690 Enduro R
2018 Kymco Spade (wife's)
Attachments: