Front drum brakes locking on kz440

More
05 Apr 2013 15:31 #580729 by bucky242
Front drum brakes locking on kz440 was created by bucky242
The front drum brakes are locking on my 1980 kz440. Does anyone know of a diagram to help adjust them? Or a quick tip to help out.

Blue 1980 kz440 b1 with clubmans 2 to 2 exhaust rejetted carb.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
05 Apr 2013 15:46 - 05 Apr 2013 15:46 #580731 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Front drum brakes locking on kz440
Well heres a picture anyway,you might want to check a manual for how to adjust it anyway.
I would suggest taking it apart and actually cleaning all the moving parts and lubing the parts that need it.
Chances are those drum brakes have had no serious maintenance since it rolled off show room floor,Id also check wheel bearings at same time.
After that Id pull the rear wheel and do the same thing to it. :)

Attachment 440brake.gif not found

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Apr 2013 15:46 by wireman.

More
05 Apr 2013 17:51 #580745 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Front drum brakes locking on kz440
If the brake shoes are old, replace them. The adhesive that binds the linings to the shoes can fail over time. A lining can separate from a shoe & get jammed between the shoe & drum, locking the wheel. It happened to me when rolling the bike off the center stand. very lucky.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
06 Apr 2013 13:24 #580868 by CrazyDuck
Replied by CrazyDuck on topic Front drum brakes locking on kz440
All I can suggest for adjusting them is to make sure both brake shoes are being applied evenly. Kind of obvious but you'd be surprised how many times the so called "professional mechanics" in a shop get that wrong.

martin_csr wrote: The adhesive that binds the linings to the shoes can fail over time. A lining can separate from a shoe & get jammed between the shoe & drum, locking the wheel.

I can second that! At least make sure they are in perfect condition. You do not want them to come apart.
The emergency brake pads let go on my Porsche and it sounded like a bomb went off.

Attachment IMG_0021.JPG not found

1976 KZ900
1974 TX500
1978 TT500
2007 Aprilia SXV
Attachments: