Brakes SQUEEL like crazy???

• Topic Author
  • User
  • 1973 kawasaki z1
More
03 Apr 2013 01:34 #580347 by 00.
Brakes SQUEEL like crazy??? was created by 00.
I have just restored a 1974 and 1975 kawasaki z1, one has dual disc brakes the other has a single disc brake, everything on the bike works perfect but both the bikes squeel like crazy when I brake so I'm obviosly doing something wrong here since all 3 calipers squeel, and its not just a small squeel its a long and very very loud squeel. I rebuilt 2 of the calipers and one is a reproduction new caliper so I'm asuming its not the caliper could my brake pads squeel? I put the red gunky glue on the back side of the pads to as suggested agains squeeling but that did not help one bit. Help there is nothing worse than a restored bike that sounds like a whistle when stoping LOL... :silly:

1973 kawasaki z1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
03 Apr 2013 01:45 #580348 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Brakes SQUEEL like crazy???
Did you resurface the rotors,new pads?
You might try taking a file and try just knocking the sharp corner off the leading edge on front of pad to see if it helps :)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
03 Apr 2013 09:13 #580359 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Brakes SQUEEL like crazy???
When I put EBC pads on my bike it squealed so bad that every dog in a 2 miles radius would howl every time I touched the brake :laugh: :laugh: I used the gooey stuff on the back of the pads, but it didn't help much for long. As Wireman suggested, what did help was filing a slight chamfer around the perimeter of the pad surface and then letting the pads break in. They stopped squealing after that. The EBC pads work well as far as stopping power, but I'll stick with stock pads in the future. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
03 Apr 2013 11:02 #580369 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Brakes SQUEEL like crazy???
It's the aftermarket pads.

You can apply some silicone to the backside of the pads, works for about a season. I still have a set of OEM pads, might try to fab some shims like the originals had.

If you have the dough, sometimes NOS pads show up on Ebay. Look to spend over $100 for each pad.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
03 Apr 2013 11:28 - 03 Apr 2013 11:31 #580371 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Brakes SQUEEL like crazy???
My 78 1000 use to have very squeaky brakes 21 years ago when I parked it,
last winter I got her back on the road and one of the things I did was to run an orbital sander with 220 grit paper around both sides of both disks until some of the shallower grooves came out.

I also installed new pads.

No more squeaks and the brakes work fine.

The reason I did what I did was because number 1 I'm cheap :blush:
And number 2 I didn't want to have someone turn them down and loose a lot of the thickness.

Like I said some of the deeper grooves are still there but they cleaned up pretty good and the pads are holding up well after 7000 miles.

Note; if you decide to try this make sure that you keep going around and around the disk, don't stop and go back and forth in one area, you need to keep it even.
JD

78 KZ1000 A2A
Last edit: 03 Apr 2013 11:31 by bluej58. Reason: added text

More
03 Apr 2013 14:57 #580394 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Brakes SQUEEL like crazy???
Very few if any aftermarket pads will work without major squeel. Watch ebay for original pads is your best option, but ebay has really gone down the toilet as everything is "buy it now" for $6 gazillion dollars any more.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
03 Apr 2013 15:27 - 03 Apr 2013 15:29 #580396 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Brakes SQUEEL like crazy???

650ed wrote: When I put EBC pads on my bike it squealed so bad that every dog in a 2 miles radius would howl every time I touched the brake :laugh: :laugh: I used the gooey stuff on the back of the pads, but it didn't help much for long. As Wireman suggested, what did help was filing a slight chamfer around the perimeter of the pad surface and then letting the pads break in. They stopped squealing after that. The EBC pads work well as far as stopping power, but I'll stick with stock pads in the future. Ed

+1 The stock pads have an anti-squeal shim built onto the pad which acts like a spring as pressure is applied. Most aftrmarket pads don't and they are going to squeal regardless of what you do.

I did reface my own rotors using a sharpening stone from harbor Freight and some cutting oil. Takes the ridges down, but the cheapo pads are still going to squeal.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 03 Apr 2013 15:29 by bountyhunter.

More
03 Apr 2013 21:21 #580429 by etbike3135
Replied by etbike3135 on topic Brakes SQUEEL like crazy???
Same here, thought I was doing the right thing buying new pads and wow did they squeel! When you take them out youll see they were chattering on the edges. I put a slightly worn stock set in and they work great.

1973 Kawasaki Z1
18 years in dragbikes

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
03 Apr 2013 22:29 - 03 Apr 2013 22:30 #580453 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Brakes SQUEEL like crazy???
I need to find some anti squeal shims also.
in my experience the pads would be glazed over, if you go to shucks and ask for the squeal medic it is made by gunk.
what happens is the pads overheat especially if you don't break them in and are eventually burnt. don't get me wrong, they last forever that way it is just annoying.
so the squeal medic is sprayed right on the rotors and it takes the glaze off the rotors and the pads.
I used some on the taurus and it no longer jolts at a stop, now it is easier to slow down before a light by gently applying the brakes/the brakes have been on there at least 4 years and are just like new as far as the thickness of the pad. no more ringing in my ears from the squealing and no more whiplash.
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Apr 2013 22:30 by donthaveakawman. Reason: picture upload malfunction

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
03 Apr 2013 22:31 #580454 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Brakes SQUEEL like crazy???
I guess I got lucky

78 KZ1000 A2A

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2013 18:50 #580579 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Brakes SQUEEL like crazy???
not sure if it is the same as squeal medic but I forgot my oil lid, jumped on the freeway and oil got on my rear brake. no squealing there either.