Cranks but not starting

More
29 Mar 2013 19:07 - 29 Mar 2013 19:09 #579504 by motomensch
Cranks but not starting was created by motomensch
I just finished replacing a blown head gasket and picking out stuff that fell down the timing chain into the oil pan. Got the cams back in and timed correctly, new rubber bumpers in the cam chain tensioner and replaced all the gaskets I had to remove. Got everything on and torqued to spec, put the tank on, put in some 20w50, dumped in a couple of gallons of gas and turned the key. The starter motor spun and spun, I had a spark at #1 cylinder and the end of the crankshaft by the timing mark was rotating. Any idea what might be causing it not to start? Before replacing the gasket, it always started without any problems. I could use useful suggestions. thanks :(

When you stop laughing, the joke's on you!
Last edit: 29 Mar 2013 19:09 by motomensch. Reason: forgot to check box for notification, too late I guess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2013 09:18 #579567 by geobass
Replied by geobass on topic Cranks but not starting
Did you check the valve clearances after installing the cams? Did you time the motor? Does it have spark on the other plugs? What model bike is it?

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
30 Mar 2013 10:12 #579573 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Cranks but not starting
Did you get ignition coils mixed up, so the spark is 180 out? This will fire the 2-3 coil when supposed to fire the 1-4.
Does it fire at all? Backfire?
When the head was off, did you remove the lifter buckets/ tappets? Maybe mix up where they were? That would cause the valve clearances to be out.
Have you checked compression?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
31 Mar 2013 19:23 #579837 by motomensch
Replied by motomensch on topic Cranks but not starting
KZ1000E1 shaft, 1979

When you stop laughing, the joke's on you!

More
31 Mar 2013 20:14 #579848 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Cranks but not starting
On the larger 4's (Kz/GPz 1000/1100's) the LEFT ignition coil sparkplug wires will go to #1 and #4, with the RIGHT ignition coil going to #2 and #3. The RED or RED/Yellow primary wires will go to both of the ignition coils.

For the RIGHT ignition coil, the primary wires, are two wires, RED and GREEN, with the secondary going to #2 and #3.

The LEFT ignition coil primary wiring colors are RED, and BLACK, with again, the secondaries going to #1 and #4

The RED wire gets it’s voltage from the run/stop switch on the right handlebar switch pod. Your primary wiring may have a different color.

The BLACK and GREEN wires connect to the IC Igniter(if the bike has the Kawasaki supplied electronic ignition) it actually gives the coils their grounds to fire the sparkplugs. The RED wire is common to both ignition coils.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
01 Apr 2013 18:44 #579998 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Cranks but not starting
Switching coil feeds is a good thing to check. I would also check compression.

1979 KZ-750 Twin