78 KZ650-spoke wheels-Bolts in the wheels?

More
28 Mar 2013 12:22 #579266 by pnedac
Just picked up a 78 KZ650B and I see that while the rims and tires are new (redone/powdercoated) I see that there are what appears to be three holes in the rim. One has the valve stem in it and one is empty (I can see the rim strip or tube bulging out and one of them has what appears to be a niceclean shiny bolt/nut stickiing out of it. I see that both rims that this. What in the heck is with that bolt thing? I have never seen that on any bike before.

Any clues? I am sorry I am not with the bike right now otherwise I would snap a photo. Beautiful wheels, but I am confused about that.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

78 KZ650 B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
28 Mar 2013 12:44 #579269 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 78 KZ650-spoke wheels-Bolts in the wheels?
Those were for beadlocks to keep tire from spinning on rim cutting valve stem off of tube. :)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
28 Mar 2013 13:03 #579274 by pnedac
Replied by pnedac on topic 78 KZ650-spoke wheels-Bolts in the wheels?
Thank you for the quick reply Wireman. I can safely assume that they are fine to stay there then? I mean they don't appear to be hurting anything and do of course appear to have been put there on purpose. I was just making sure I was not losing my mind.

Thanks,

Pnedac

78 KZ650 B

More
28 Mar 2013 13:16 #579275 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 78 KZ650-spoke wheels-Bolts in the wheels?
This is what they look like. They pinch the bead of the tire against the wheel to prevent the wheel from slipping inside the tire upon heavy acceleration. If the wheel slips even a tiny bit it will eventually tear the valve stem out of the tube and give you an instant flat. No fun, as I learned on my old BSA. Ed

Attachment RimLock.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
28 Mar 2013 14:04 #579279 by pnedac
Replied by pnedac on topic 78 KZ650-spoke wheels-Bolts in the wheels?
Thats the one. Perfect. I appreciate the help very much. I wonder, was this an innovative idea? Why dont all spoked wheels have this handy locking device?

78 KZ650 B

More
28 Mar 2013 14:13 #579281 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 78 KZ650-spoke wheels-Bolts in the wheels?

pnedac wrote: Thats the one. Perfect. I appreciate the help very much. I wonder, was this an innovative idea? Why dont all spoked wheels have this handy locking device?

I don't know. With my BSA, after ripping the valve stem off a tube, I drilled small holes through the edge of the wheel and installed short screws so they would just bite into the bead of the tire. I got that tip from a guy who raced flat track. It worked, but it wasn't very pretty. I guess the odds of the wheel slipping inside the tire are fairly slim, but apparently it was enough of an issue that Kawasaki felt obligated to eliminate the risk. Of course it's not an issue with the front tire. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
28 Mar 2013 15:01 - 28 Mar 2013 15:11 #579283 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 78 KZ650-spoke wheels-Bolts in the wheels?
The rim locks are often used in pairs 180° apart in order to minimize wheel balance issues.

Lots of torque on rear tire as the wheel attempts to spin inside the tire.

When rim screws are used, it's best to locate them directly across from another, again, to enhance wheel balancing.

Of course, Ed's BSA slipped on the rim from hard braking -- not strong acceleration. :lol:
And running a 19" tire on the 18" wheel probably didn't help much either. :laugh:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Mar 2013 15:11 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman