Cutting the Frame...How Important are those?!

More
28 Mar 2013 01:47 #579212 by SuperMoto
So I have a 79 KZ750 Twin that the previous owner had already started to cut up. I want to cut farther into the frame. Closer to where the rear shock supports actually mount. Is this safe or just a really bad idea? I want to make it into a short single seat and give the look of my rear wheel kind of free floating all by its lonesome. I attached a photo with a line showing the area I want to have the frame stop in. Any input would rock. Thanks guys!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
28 Mar 2013 01:51 #579214 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Cutting the Frame...How Important are those?!
The area behind shock mount is only supporting rear seat/fender area,make sure to tie both sides of frame back together after removing rear rear hoop. :)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
28 Mar 2013 01:54 #579215 by SuperMoto
Replied by SuperMoto on topic Cutting the Frame...How Important are those?!
I planned on making a nice simple yet tasteful hoop to cover the rear. Also had some ideas about incorporating the tail light into the seat. Ever seen that done?

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
28 Mar 2013 02:10 #579217 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Cutting the Frame...How Important are those?!
Never seen a tail light built into a seat,but this place is full of 1sts! :laugh:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
28 Mar 2013 17:32 - 28 Mar 2013 17:33 #579307 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Cutting the Frame...How Important are those?!

wireman wrote: Never seen a tail light built into a seat,but this place is full of 1sts! :laugh:

Will not hurt the frame at all to cut back to there. Just don't start cutting into the shock gusseting.

Last edit: 28 Mar 2013 17:33 by baldy110.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman