Swing arm mod, old to new idea for feedback

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
25 Feb 2013 00:19 #573993 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Swing arm mod, old to new idea for feedback
That's also an option when you have access to a lathe. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2013 02:47 #574006 by Haybus
Replied by Haybus on topic Swing arm mod, old to new idea for feedback
That looks like you're machining a modern steering stem? But you were talking about swing arm mods? Do you need some bushings made? I thought you were putting in a big beast of a swinger in your build.

Doesn't everyone have a lathe in their garage? They should. Just tell your wife it's insurance in case the vacuum, dishwasher, washing machine, etc. breaks (true story, all 3 have been resurrected with emergency lathe service). I can't imagine trying to mod one of these machines without a mill and lathe. Kudos to the folks that make nice looking stuff with bandsaws and grinders.

1976 KZ900 LTD (sort of)
2005 FJR
2009 Hayabusa
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/557845...-streetfighter-build

More
25 Feb 2013 04:16 #574016 by Hollywoodmx
Replied by Hollywoodmx on topic Swing arm mod, old to new idea for feedback

Haybus wrote: That looks like you're machining a modern steering stem? But you were talking about swing arm mods? Do you need some bushings made? I thought you were putting in a big beast of a swinger in your build.

Doesn't everyone have a lathe in their garage? They should. Just tell your wife it's insurance in case the vacuum, dishwasher, washing machine, etc. breaks (true story, all 3 have been resurrected with emergency lathe service). I can't imagine trying to mod one of these machines without a mill and lathe. Kudos to the folks that make nice looking stuff with bandsaws and grinders.

Ya I am using that beast still. I thought why not salvage the R1 steering stem since I am not using it and cut it for the swingarm bushing. :side:

I agree you cant do these builds without having access to a lathe and a mill.

- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

More
25 Feb 2013 15:19 #574069 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Swing arm mod, old to new idea for feedback

wireman wrote: How about just having bushings with an O.D that fit the I.D of whatever swingarm pivot youre using,then ream the I.D of the bushings to fit the stock kaw pivot bolt sleeve? B)

That is exactly what I do, I am lazy and found out that is the easiest way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• wireman
  • User
More
25 Feb 2013 15:28 - 25 Feb 2013 15:34 #574071 by wireman

Hollywoodmx wrote:

Haybus wrote: That looks like you're machining a modern steering stem? But you were talking about swing arm mods? Do you need some bushings made? I thought you were putting in a big beast of a swinger in your build.

Ya I am using that beast still. I thought why not salvage the R1 steering stem since I am not using it and cut it for the swingarm bushing. :side:

I agree you cant do these builds without having access to a lathe and a mill.

You can do it,you just need to be good with a drill and a file! :woohoo:
There was a guy named lil john buttera that pretty much built an indy car in a 1 car garage with a belt sander ,drill press and a bunch of basic hand tools! B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2013 15:34 by wireman.

More
01 Mar 2013 14:33 #574746 by LeePalmer79
Replied by LeePalmer79 on topic Swing arm mod, old to new idea for feedback

Attachment cB1.jpg not found

hey I am new to the kz world and would like to ask some stupid Questions.
1, what swing arm are you putting in?
2, what is the mesuerments from side to side on a 1981 kz650 swing arm at the mounting point?

I am looking to put a single shock swingarm on my kz650. i just dont know what will fit. I would like to have the brakes and rim size from a newer spots bike..
i am looking to go in the direction as the pic
thank you for the help
Attachments:

• wireman
  • User
More
01 Mar 2013 14:39 #574747 by wireman
Suzuki gsxr is pretty close width wise B)

More
01 Mar 2013 15:29 #574751 by chonus
Replied by chonus on topic Swing arm mod, old to new idea for feedback
Get that damn honda outta here!!! Jk looks cool

-Dave

'82 kz305 lil bob
'82 kz1000 streetfighter project
'80 kz750/4 LTD
'02 kx125

More
18 Mar 2013 17:38 #577544 by LeePalmer79
Replied by LeePalmer79 on topic Swing arm mod, old to new idea for feedback

Attachment 2013-03-02_14-56-23_499.jpg not found

this is my starting point picked it up fot $400.. i have the 01-03 GSXR swing arm and shock ready to go in and am looking for the best way to do the upper shock mount..
Attachments:

More
20 Mar 2013 04:21 #577800 by Woody73
Replied by Woody73 on topic Swing arm mod, old to new idea for feedback

LeePalmer79 wrote:

Attachment 2013-03-02_14-56-23_499.jpg not found

this is my starting point picked it up fot $400.. i have the 01-03 GSXR swing arm and shock ready to go in and am looking for the best way to do the upper shock mount..

once you figure it out, post up some good pics & a thread on it. this was what i was thinking for mine as well but without being able to see my bike in person right now, i kinda stumped on how to fab up the shock mount.

"He knows the ways of the Force. He's been trained to use the Dark Xide. DO NOT Fear the Dark Xide"

2011 Harley Street Glide