rear shock advise needed

More
04 Feb 2013 21:13 #570782 by shadow44
rear shock advise needed was created by shadow44
In the middle of a complete and major rebuild and restore of my 76 kz900. a couple of years ago, I did a quick restore and put on some new rear shocks factory replacements from johnnys Vintage MC (good people) but I am not happy with them. My wife is always with me. I'm 200 she is 130. thats 330# and I have trouble with them bottoming out. set on the high setting they are still too light to stop from bottoming out. Whats the fix? Air, stronger springs? And no i am not leaving her at home! :P

Remember, the government can not give you anything they have not first, taken from someone else.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2013 21:23 - 04 Feb 2013 21:29 #570785 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic rear shock advise needed
If you're considering staying close to stock consider Hagon shocks for the rear. Contact Dave Quinn (see link) and he will set up a pair for your specific bike, riding style, weight, etc. I put a set on my bike 6 years ago and they are still great! I'm about 200 and my wife weighs only a little less than your, and these shocks have never bottomed. Along with providing superior suspension they have stainless steel bodies and shrouds. Mine are like #4 in bottom picture. Ed

davequinnmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/webc.cg...GON_TWIN_SHOCKS.html

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Feb 2013 21:29 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadow44

More
05 Feb 2013 02:56 - 05 Feb 2013 02:58 #570840 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic rear shock advise needed

shadow44 wrote: In the middle of a complete and major rebuild and restore of my 76 kz900. a couple of years ago, I did a quick restore and put on some new rear shocks factory replacements from johnnys Vintage MC (good people) but I am not happy with them.

The factory shocks were pretty bad. I bought my KZ750 new, and I asked one of the mechanics how many miles I could run before the shocks were gone.... his answer was:

"They were gone when you bought the bike."

The owner of the dealership heard that and glared at him...... :laugh:

I got some progressive (brand and type) rear shocks that are gas filled and I think they are great. You can buy a wide range of spring sets to go on them to dial in for your typical ride weight and they are adjustable.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 05 Feb 2013 02:58 by bountyhunter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
05 Feb 2013 09:14 #570866 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic rear shock advise needed
I have the kinda the same weight issues as you only I'm 225 :blush: and my wife is 113 + a 25 lb. pack on long halls.

We went with Progressive gas shocks with the heavy duty springs ( straight black ) through Z1e.

When I'm alone I set them to the middle setting , when we ride together it's on the highest setting and they work well, smooth ride and we don't bottom out on the pot holes.

JD

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
05 Feb 2013 09:51 #570869 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic rear shock advise needed

bountyhunter wrote: ...The factory shocks were pretty bad. I bought my KZ750 new, and I asked one of the mechanics how many miles I could run before the shocks were gone.... his answer was:

"They were gone when you bought the bike."

Wow, an honest dealer! It is true, the original shocks were the biggest weak point on the KZ's. Mine were totally shot before 10,000 miles. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)