NCS rear shocks?

More
28 Jan 2013 17:04 #569639 by blu92in99
NCS rear shocks? was created by blu92in99
I searched and didn't find anything. If I goofed up and there's a ton of threads on this, my apologies! :blush:

I need to replace the rear shocks on my 20k mile GPz1100 B1, and on a fairly tight budget - trying to keep it at $200 or less total investment. I mostly just commute on the bike at this stage, mixed highway & city riding. No track days or drag racing, etc. although it does get ridden regardless of weather. It will also see some long distance traveling later this summer. Bike is stock aside from Kerker exhaust, UNI filter, and ATK fork brace.

The bike currently has some well seasoned Marzocchi AG-Strada 3's on it, but they both need rebuilding and one also needs a new lower spring seat (previous owner - long story). Two rebuild kits plus spring seat will set me back about ~$100. More if the shafts or pistons have unseen damage.

I've been seeing the Niche Cycle rear shocks on eBay, a pair of new rear shocks with springs (though they don't mention what the spring rate is) are going for $94 +$12 shipping. $106 delivered for a pair of new rear shocks sounds too good to be true, and falls into my budget.

I wouldn't mind the Progressive 12 Series shocks but they aren't in the budget at this time.

As much as I'd love to go through those old Marzocchi's and freshen them up, I can't help but feel like the Niche Cycle shocks is the way I should go at this juncture. Does anyone here have experience with the NCS rear shocks; good or bad? Are there other shocks out there (KYB, etc) in my budget range that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

-Justin

'81 KZ1100-B1 GPz - Kerker exhaust, UNI filter, Dyna coils w/Accel wires, ATK fork brace, Marzocchi shocks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2013 18:54 #569646 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic NCS rear shocks?
The Niche repros are garbage as far as performance goes. Do ZRX shocks fit your bike? That's what I replaced my Niche shocks with.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
29 Jan 2013 13:52 #569760 by blu92in99
Replied by blu92in99 on topic NCS rear shocks?
What year ZRX did you get the shocks from? What was their eye-to-eye length?

I appreciate the feedback on the NCS shocks too. Could you elaborate a bit more on how they're garbage? Just curious...

-Justin

'81 KZ1100-B1 GPz - Kerker exhaust, UNI filter, Dyna coils w/Accel wires, ATK fork brace, Marzocchi shocks

More
29 Jan 2013 14:13 - 29 Jan 2013 14:15 #569764 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic NCS rear shocks?
I used ZRX1100 shocks, don't know what year but I think they're the same. Lots of info on ZRX riders forum. I put them on my Z1-B, they fit the studs fine. But the left shock needed to be spaced out with a couple flat washers for chain clearance. I also trimmed the chain guard, but probably could have just used flat washers. The 1100 shocks are 14.25" eye to eye. A little longer than stock Z1 shocks, but I did a mod I found on ZRX forum. I lucked out and found the pair on Ebay for $120.

The $100 Niche shocks have ZERO DAMPING. They are just a tight wound pogo stick. They look good, but ride like crap.

To shorten

I've seen Z1/KZ's with ZRX shocks mounted upside down, but I don't like that look.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
Last edit: 29 Jan 2013 14:15 by Kidkawie.

More
29 Jan 2013 14:42 #569769 by blu92in99
Replied by blu92in99 on topic NCS rear shocks?
Awesome info. Thanks again!

-Justin